Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Anyone ever made a cheap intercooler sprayer?

Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: '10 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Default Anyone ever made a cheap intercooler sprayer?

What did you use? Trying to figure out a DIY that I can do that will be a cheap intercooler sprayer for when it becomes heat soaked in the middle of summer.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

20HP dry shot in the intake works much better than an intercooler sprayer. The ONLY reason rally cars use an intercooler sprayer is because they're not allowed to run nitrous.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Re-route the windshield washer hoses and sprayers if you don't use your the wiper sprayers. I never use mine because I don't like the streaks the fluid/dirt leaves, and my car is usually clean enough I don't have to use the wipers to clean the windshield. So I've thought about doing this, just never got around to it.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Your wiper motor doesn't provide enough pressure. Water evaporating is what cools metal. You need a very fine mist for that. A washer motor doesn't push enough pressure to make a fine mist even with the proper nozzle.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

^ I've read a quite a few people in the WRX community doing it, some install the Factory STI setup in their WRX. While others use washer motors/lines/nozzles, so seemed like a decent idea.

After looking up a few more DIY's a second ago, and remembering I deleted my rear wiper assembly. It would be a better idea to use the rear wiper (not sure if Gen Coupes come with them) that way the front wipers don't wipe every time you go to spray your intercooler, that would get annoying real quick haha.

It's completely speculation for me, like I said never went through with it, so I haven't tested it. But, any water on the intercooler with airflow will evaporate, it doesn't have to be a fine mist. Sure it might take longer to cool because it has to evaporate more, but a quick 1-2 second spray should get enough on the intercooler, then Air will do the rest.

I know several local Autocrossers that use a normal Weed killer spray bottle, you know those pump ones, to spray down their intercoolers while racing. You could try that too.