Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

3.8 GT automatic/automanual stuck in high/6th gear!

Old 03-22-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Default 3.8 GT automatic/automanual stuck in high/6th gear!

This problem started today out of the blue. I have the 2010 Genesis 3.8 GT automatic and when I put it into drive it refuses to shift and then it shifts incredibly hard. When I put it into manual mode when it happened it showed as being in 6th gear and shifting down did absolutely nothing, it was just stuck and refused to shift into any other gear. Any thoughts or is the transmission just plain done?

I also noticed that even though I had my oil changed close to two months ago that it still looks brand new and I've put at least 2,000 miles on it since then.

It has 111,790 miles total on it. Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I really hope they put the right oil back in it when that service was done. That ZF trans uses specific and not cheap oil. I can only imagine what universal fluid would do.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT

Well I've only had an engine oil change and not a transmission oil change. I'm not leaking ATF so I think the engine oil thing is separate but definitely still weird. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to find out why they overfilled it by almost 2 quarts.

I do have an oil cooler leak somewhere that started at the exact same time but again it's oil and not ATF so I haven't figured out how they go hand-in-hand.

I'm hoping to find someone who has a good scan tool so I can see if the car has thrown any codes even though the check engine light hasn't come on.

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
I really hope they put the right oil back in it when that service was done. That ZF trans uses specific and not cheap oil. I can only imagine what universal fluid would do.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Any grinding or weird noises coming from the transmission other than it shifting hard? The possibility of it being fried is most likely the issue. Are you running a tune or any high HP on it?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8

Hate to say it but I think your transmission is done. Even if it's an ATF problem and you put new or fresh stuff in, it's only a bandaid and it will still mean the underlying problem is there.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The best case is probably a transmission controller, swap out one electric box and the problem goes away. Worst case is a transmission. If your dealer is over-filling your oil, maybe consider taking the car to a different mechanic to check the transmission!