Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Zex Kits on a 2002 Elantra?

Old 07-13-2002, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zex Kits on a 2002 Elantra?

Hey there,

I've been searching the forum on info about the Zex kits, but found one that said the kits wouldn't work on a car with MAP sensors... Could some one tell me if that is right or wrong? I'm looking to run just a 50/55 shot and wanted to make sure before I ordered a kit.

Thanks!!!
Spatch!
Old 07-13-2002, 01:24 PM

wow, your lucky day. there is a zex kit for sale in the 'for sale' forum for only 400$$$ if it works, i suggest you get in touch with the guy who is selling it for cheap. by the way, i believe he said that it would come with a pre exhisting cai that was all ready adapted to the zex application.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:04 PM

Sure they work on MAP cars. All of the ZEX equipped cars in Korea are MAP.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The problem with the Zex kit on your engine, is not that it is MAP based. It is the fuel system.

You have a *returnles* fuel system. Zex works by upping the fuel pressure by *fooling* the fuel pressure regulator into raising the fuel pressure. You cannot do this on a *returnless* fuel system, as there is no Fuel Pressure regulator per se.

I would reccomend the Venom kit for your application. The Venom kit taps into your stock fuel injectors, and pulses them for a longer period of time. It also taps into your stock O2 sensor. The kit will shut itself off if you run lean, giving you a good margin of saftey.

Is is the only kit out there that I can think of that will work, and be safe for your engine.

The NX Express *wet* kits should/might do the job, but they do not have a 02 sensor saftey, so would suggest getting a A/F ratio gauge (the venom kit comes with one) to keep track of the NX kit if you go that route.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:25 PM

Alrighty... So Zex is out of the picture. Venom is a VERY smile.gif expensive kit. So, NX would be the way to go and it runs about the same $$ as a zex kit. How much harder is this kit to install than the zex kit? Should I still use zex plugs since they run cooler or are they just a gimmick?

Thanks!
Spatch!
Old 07-14-2002, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

the NX kits do not need the colder plugs, as the additional fuel they add so far up the intake air stream does the job of cooling the combustion event. You might want to go 1 heat range colder, but you will have to experiment.

The Venom kit is only $600. That's only about $150 more than the NX/Zex kits. For the added margin of saftey, plus the A/F gauge, it's easily worth it.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:27 PM

Ooops, I didn't notice the 2002.

It's good that Venom brought out a cheaper version of their nice system. I inquired about them a couple of years ago... but their initial prices for their top of the line and only available kit was well over $1000.

With the returnless fuel pumps / regulators, Venom definately has an advantage.

A NX wet kit is not a bad way to go... good solenoids... nice power gains.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:27 AM

The venom vcn-1000 kits seem pretty straight forward compared to the NX kits. How hard are the Venom kits to install compared to the NX kits?
I was going to go with a:
NX Kit w/ 15lb bottle
Gen X 2 Kit
Remote bottle opener.

Can I get that kind of equipment for a Venom kit?
Atleast a bottle opener, auto heat pad, and a purge valve... The cheapest price I can find for a venom kit is $650.00.. Anyone know of a place to get them?
Thanks!
Spatch!
Old 07-15-2002, 02:30 AM

well i was the test dummy for venom

It took me about 3 hours to install the kit by myself,... *i do have nitrous install experience*

650 is a good price
take it

As for are your nitrous stuff,... you can use ZEX and NOS products with the venom kit
purge kits are pretty universal with nitrous kits
so are bottle warmers and all that other stuff you posted