Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Too much power for your tires? Try this

Old 09-06-2002, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Well....it's free advice....and worth what I paid for it.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Random:
Well....it's free advice....and worth what I paid for it.</div>thats harsh man!
Old 09-06-2002, 03:25 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

If you're having that much trouble with turbo lag, you didnt size your turbo right or there's something wrong somewhere in your setup thats causing you to fall off boost. Be it gearing, manifold design, piping, etc.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:41 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>MaDHatteR:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Random:
Well....it's free advice....and worth what I paid for it.</div>thats harsh man!</div>It wasn't harsh.
Random just knows whats legit and whats bulls*it!

[ September 06, 2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Jaws ]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:41 AM

[/QUOTE]It wasn't harsh.
Random just knows whats legit and whats bulls*it!
[/QB][/QUOTE]

No, it was pretty harsh... i thought it was a very humorous remark...
Old 09-06-2002, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

SCCA-

You contradict yourself. If a turbo can't spool up....I have no need of the throttle stop. If the turbo is small enough to spool up that low then where is the problem? You state "you punch it too much"...you could do that just as easily in a N/A car as a turbo car. Ever driven a Toyota Celica GT-S? Ever felt the 30 HP power hit when the cam changes profile? How about a Honda Vtec? It's the drivers job to DRIVE. To know his car if he wants to race it. Not to put a cork in the tail pipe to slow him down, or a crushed beer car under the accelerator pedal to keep him from flooring it.

And if you are autocrossing in only second gear, then I must say, I totally dissagree with your driving style. I down shift to first and engine brake and right foot brake, and shift to third often for various different reasons.

Professional racing is about MANY things...who is the better driver, which driver/team can adapt faster/better to changing conditions, who has the better car/engine/suspension/tires/fuel economy..etc..etc..etc..

I have YET to see a race won on "who had the best throttle stop" or 2 stage throttle switch.

A simple throttle stop or 2 stage throttle is NOT going to help you to become a better driver. It's NOT going to help you to win races.

What is IS going to do HANDICAP your car to compensate for your lack of skill, talent, and ability to adapt. It's also going to HANDICAP your ability to LEARN how to handle your car, engine/suspension..etc..etc..etc..

In the time it would take you to figure out HOW to make a 2 stage throttle linkage work, and set it up to do what you want....you could improve your driving skills by spending the time behind the wheel learning how to HANDLE the power you have, and be better off in the end.

If your idea is so wonderful, and you believe in it so much. Let's see timeslips from your local track as to how you cut seconds off your time by only using 3/4 throttle due to a throttle stop. Let's see a "how to" write up as to how to setup/install this device. Let's see photos of your setup.

Do you even USE such a device? have you ever attempted to manufacture such a device? How about trying your own advice before posting it up for others.

In regards to your "claims" that turbos are mainly good for pulling loads and only "limited" success in racing...you obviously have no grasp of racing history, or the theory/mechanics/physics behind turbos. The main reason that there are such limited forms of turbo racing today is that the turbo's were TOO SUCCESSFUL!!!! 1800 HP out of less than 3 Liters of displacement. Most racing bodies mandated normally aspriated setups to slow the cars down for driver saftey, and in the interest of better competition. Not because they didn't work. They worked all to well.

Again, your free advice is worth just what we paid for it. And I suggest you take it yourself first and come back with proof if you expect anyone to take you seriously.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I'm usually not the one to says things like this... but, I think the word that comes to mind is ''OWNED''
Old 09-06-2002, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Uhhhh SCCA sorry to do this to you bro but the reasons you posted up, thats kinda like what AntiLag is used for man, and there's a little technique called left-brakig that also helps the situation; heel-and-toe also helps to keep the turbo spooling, in rally you'll usually turn ON the throttle instead of braking into the turn and track racing where you'll have to heel-and-toe double-clutch most of the time(usually cuz of a sequential box)to keep the engine in the band, it all helps to rectify the problem.

Yeah we aren't professional drivers, we're propably never ever gonna be good enough, but even rofessional drivers make mistakes. The ones that are around today(except for Ayrton Senna anyway)would be the best, they would have to be to survive this long in this sport.

~The main reason that there are such limited forms of turbo racing today is that the turbo's were TOO SUCCESSFUL!!!! ~Random

This is also part of the reason why Rallying Group B was banned, the cars were becoming too fast to be driven safely, and very often got shot off of the track into the crowd.

[ September 06, 2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: MechaniX_034 ]