Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

tip (or older elantra header) on a 99 elantra

Old 04-30-2002, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tip (or older elantra header) on a 99 elantra

Hello ,I have a good used tibby (98) factory header and want to replace my girls "catafold" on her 99 elantra. I can weld in a 02 hole (for the older tib. manifold)but am worried about the pre/post o2 reading ( I am sure it will set off a cat.insufficiency code,because the front cat. would be gone )
so I am looking for a workaround. Any ideas/experiences?
Thanks
jd
Old 04-30-2002, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Why not just install headers?

I don't understand the question...are you removing your cat entirely? If so, I will simply not support that question with an answer. A proper cat does wonders to clean up your exhaust emissions and does not significantly lower your HP.

If you were to just MOVE the cat to under the car (like you had installed headers, then you would just lengthen the o2 sensor wires and put one in front of the cat and one behind the cat.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:47 AM

Well as far as the no cat deal, I was more interested on removing the huge front cat restriction ( off road only, if that makes things politically correct) Yes a high flow cat could be used further back in the exhaust( I actually have a good tib. center cat I can use)
I am worried that by moving the o2s
the heat range will be different from factory and through a ce light.
Have people done this mod?

A proper cat does wonders to clean up your exhaust emissions and does not significantly lower your HP.

While I agree with the 1st part wholeheartedly.
The factory front cat is a huge performance block.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2002, 07:54 AM

found a similar topic in search.
Thanks again