Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Time for a New Mod

Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited
Default Time for a New Mod

It has been over six months since I last added anything to my Elantra. I would say it is about time I get a new mod under way. I was thinking about maybe putting some subs in the trunk. Just a few questions to get this thread started(I have never done anything electrical with a car so I will probably ask a lot of stupid questions) :

1) Will I have to replace the stock HD head unit? Will the stock head unit put out enough power if I leave it in?

2) If I replace the head unit, will I be able to wire the new head unit so the steering wheel radio controls still work?

3) Any recommendations about brand, size or quantity of subs? I don't want anything too big.

4) I'm also pulling additional power because of my HID's. Will extra electrical pull hurt the alternator or anything in the electrical system?

5) While I am on the topic of my HID's, should I get a regulator if I install the subs?

Thanks for any input!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

1. you can keep the stock radio and run a amp to the rest of the speakers and subwoofer

2. when i had my HD i found a steering wheel controller on crutchfield

3. really depends on how much boom you want, ive been looking at the FI q line of subs lately

4. shouldnt hurt anything as long as you dont run 20000 watts, i ran a 1200 watt amp on my j2 just fine with the stock alternator

5. id get a capacitor for the subs, that way you dont end up with flickering headlights
Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Even without a cap, HIDs don't flicker from boom in the trunk.......not sure why, but that was the day my lights stopped flickering. You can keep the stock HU, but you may need a line converter for RCAs, as i'm not sure if the HD has the connections equipped or not. All the power for the sub is going to come from the amp, not your HU. Recommendations on subs are going to depend on how much boom you're looking for really.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Want to keep the stock head unit!

Fine, all you will need is an in line crossover, to help fine tune the subs.

I personally fell like 2 10" do a fantastic job! just make sure if you got with to tens you do get a farad to help stabilize the voltages. Even thought it isnt going to help with the amperage being pulled away from the altenator, but two nice Jbl's will be very nice, very tight sounding, and you can listen to any kind of music, if you want nive tight clean base, get a sealed box, if you want to raddle your neighboors house get a ported.

I have a 15" kicker comp L7, being pushed by a 1501 txi Hifonics amp wired for 1 ohm! Oh and i have a stock altenator form the factory still at that, 11 years old and hasnt died, isnt even squealing!

Hits very hard and very clean just have to turn it down alot to listen to rock or anything with fast high frequency cause it does tend to distort, if i could redo mine, i would go 3 tens, ruffly the same cone space, just way more adaptable!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

Thanks everyone for the input. This what I gathered:

1) Keep the head unit which is what I originally wanted to do. Sweet!

2) I will need an amp and of course subs. I'm probably looking at two 10's. Going to go with a sealed box

3) Since I have HID's I do not need a capacitor. Correct?

4) Find out if I need a line converter for RCAs

5) I will also need an in line crossover
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

You may not need a cap. Even if you do, it doesn't have to be added at the beginning. I haven't run one for 6 years in the Elantra and I haven't had any issues. If you get everything installed and see your dash or exterior lights fluttering, then maybe it would be a consideration.