Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Thinking seriously about 2000-2005 Elantra GT

Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Pony
Default Thinking seriously about 2000-2005 Elantra GT

I'd always liked these cars, and looks like it is time to buy something hassle free (my Stellar is seriously starting to piss me off! This time the starter died at work, -12c outside)

What is there to look out for in these models? No question I want a manual, there's some OK ones around here for $1800 with high miles (I'm OK with swapping engines, they're dirt cheap) and I don't mind doing repairs on it myself.

The only likely mods will be exhaust, short ram and wheels - Nothing else, not even MSD even though I have it. This will just be my reliable car.

Don't care if it is 1.8 or 2.0.

What years do you guys recommend and what do you look out for?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Never buy an automatic, and keep a spare alternator handy. The window regulators will fail eventually on power windows. Other than that, they're bulletproof if you change the oil.

Well, kinda anyway.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I always thought they were the ugliest Hyundais ever built leftover from the "cold war" boring boxy Hyundai era.

Aren't they only V6's? I saw one at the junkyard. The materials are exactly like from the RD2 (no surprise, but I was expecting 2001+ Hyundais to have improved) and cheap as sh*t. You press one button, and they all squiggle like from some cheap plastic boom box you buy at Wal*Mart.

I'm more partial for the old Elantra Wagon. Cheaper, way more space, roof rack, great looking and feeling cars.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

V6 in an Elantra..............LOL? Ummm, no. GT (at least 01-06)only meant leather interior, stiffer suspension, spoiler, black bump strips, LED gauges and different shaped marker lights. Engine was the same as the GLS.

Mine will be 7 years old in June with the only major replacement being a clutch at 48k.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Whaat?! I always thought they had V6's like the Corollas. Oops! That's pretty silly of me. I never really payed much attention to them.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I have a beta 2 engine and manual trans in my Accent that was pulled from an 02 Elantra GT and its taken alot of abuse since 05. I replaced the block back in june due to mixing negligence and oil together. I have in the last 10 months replaced the original starter, alternator and clutch. The only real issue would be the ever annoying second gear crunch. I cant speak for the rest of the car but that should help with the the power train. As far as I know the beta 2 only comes in 2.0 but maybe its different in Canada.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ Redline MT-90 GL4 gear oil, and you might like your car better