Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

tachometer location HELP !

Old 02-22-2002, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tachometer location HELP !

Hey folks, my elatra does not have a tach in the gauge cluster.. i want to hook one up so i can watch the shift rpms.. and get more consistent when spraying...

does anyone know where the tach wire is under the dash.. or in the engine bay?

anybody know???

i went and looked for it at hmaservice.com but all i found was a large diagram that shows the wire, but i dont know how to go about actually finding it in the car.. i'm gonna keep trying to decipher the diagram.. but if one of you could let me know then it will put my tired eyes at ease. hehehe
Old 02-22-2002, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

don't tell me u got a GL

and don't tell me u got rear drums...

that's ok
Old 02-22-2002, 09:40 PM

I got a GLS and it has rear drums, In 2K rear disc came with ABS.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:31 AM

i have the gl.. but it has every option besides the sunroof and spoiler.

i even have alloy rims.

now, does anybody know where i can find the tack wire under the dash/hood so i can hook one up ???

laterz.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

For your 1999 Elantra, you need to reference the wire right off the ECU. Pin #47

If you look to the upper right. You will see that it plugs into the ECM at #47.

Also...study that diagram. Anyone else wonder what the "Torque reduction signal" does? Before you go crazy...it's only on Automatics... (pin #85)

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 02-23-2002, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a diagram for the ECU connector, so you can find the right pin.

Old 02-23-2002, 03:46 AM

random, thanks for the info, i found pin 47 earlier, and i followed it along using the "in line" connectors, it appears as though the wire does reside somewhere under the dash.. but i'm not 100% sure where its at...

there are many connectors that have the tach wire running through it.. they are # MI01, EM02, E59-2, SM59 & the signal appears to go to a device called TCM (which i think stands for tachometer), but its not the actual tach, because it is a seperate image altogether from the actual tach in the dash. . it shows the picture of the connectors, but i cant tell exactly WHERE they are located! ?? DAMMIT. HELP ! hehehe

i found all of this on the image of the ignition system on the electrical troubleshooting manual.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:54 AM

also, it shows on this pic you posted, that the tach connector is on the DATA LINK thing.. is that a harness ? or connector under the dash for diagnostics ?? IF SO, WHERE is it ?

i cant probly tap it right from there ! hehehe
Old 02-23-2002, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

the data link is the OBD-ii interface. the tach signal does not route to it, or through it, however a Request for the Engine speed sensor data can be made, and the Ecu will send it to the data link.

I reccomend ONLY pin 47 off the ECU. The reason? Hyundai has NO LOYALTY to wire color or connector location in anything other than the ECU.

Techincally speaking, the Tach wire signal can be caught in about 4-6 different placces/wires between the gauge cluster and the ECU, however, the wiring diagram info is not correct. I've tried this on 3 different tiburons. Each had different colored wires for Pin47, and on the other connectors like MI01, EM02, E59-2, SM59, the wire was the wrong color AND in a different spot on the connector than the ETM manual claimed it to be.

use www.hmaservice.com. It shows connector locations, and what wire is what on which connector. However...just keep in mind...that they are about only 25% correct. 75% of the time, you will be hitting the wrong wire.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:01 PM

Damnit Random.. You are damn good.. smile.gif