Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Stuff won't fit 2K2?

Old 10-23-2001, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuff won't fit 2K2?

I was reading Hawaiibullriders note in the general mods section and he claimed that things aren't fitting on the 2K1 Elantra. Since I intend to get a 2K2 Elantra GT this bugs me. I want Alpines turbo kit. Anyone got any idea if it will fit? Also, what about the SC? Isn't someone running it on a 2K1 Elantra right now?
Old 10-24-2001, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by hawaiibullrider:
They said they have the electronics to both work on the MAF and MAP equipped cars.</div>

Uh...I have heard things differently there. I have heard from 2 different people with MAP sensors that are having horrible problems with Alpine setups because they do NOT work right with MAP. Make sure you get it in writing....
Old 10-24-2001, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Correction...3 people. The 3 people I know with with MAP equipped Beta engines have/are all having/had problems getting the hardware/Chip as supplied by Alpine to work and fit.

Mario had a bitch of a time getting the EMF box to work his 5th injector right. It kept going lean.

Fran is having a problem because Alpine shipped the Uni-chip system, and diagrams for MAF not MAP, and it does not seem to be a way to hook up the Uni-Chip to work with MAP.

The other person also is MAP and is having problems with the UNI-Chip as well....

DO NOT TRUST ALPINE on this one. When they get these 3 people sorted out...then you can know that they have something that works with MAP.
Old 10-24-2001, 08:30 AM

So am I correct in surmising that 00' and earlier betas are MAF and that 01' and newer are MAP? How does this affect a Haltec? Is it able to use either system?
Old 10-24-2001, 10:59 AM
Red

A Haltech is a 100% replacement part -- there is NO stock computer left, or any stock air flow sensor either. The stock other sensors (coolant temp, intake temp, cam angle, crank angle, et al) can be reused, but those are different.

I'm pretty sure the UniChip can understand a MAP sensor, because the electronics are the same 0-5v return as a MAF sensor would use. The difference is the actual mapping of that voltage, which would have to be altered in the UniChip programming. That's something that only a UniChip-authorized tuner could do, and as Random discovered earlier, it'll probably cost you a ton.

-Red-
Old 10-24-2001, 12:56 PM

COOL! But the Haltec must use one system or the other, which does it use? I would suspect it to be MAP. That's what TEC II uses I think.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:41 PM
Red

The Haltech comes with it's own MAP, irregardless of what your car initially started life with. You could use a Haltech on a car that originally came with a Karman Vortec sensor and it would still use a MAP.

Every aftermarket full-replacement EFI system on the market uses a MAP sensor for it's load calculation -- Motec, SpeedPro, Electromotive, Haltech, et al.

-Red-
Old 10-25-2001, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the info. I just called the Haltec dealer in town and he gave me this rundown: Haltec~1200 3BAR MAP sensor and misc sensors~200 Install and tune w/1yr warranty~800 TOTAL:2200. Yeah, that's a lot of cash but it sounds worth it. I don't think I'd be happy with Alpines kit unless I use a Haltec.