Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Purpose of an oil temp gauge

Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 Elantra
Default Purpose of an oil temp gauge

What purpose is an oil temp gauge used for? I know oil pressure is very good to have but is there a need for temperature on a DD?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring

Genuine need? Probably not. Still, it would be nice to have to know how easily your engine is working (warmer oil = less work, better fuel economy). As for being aware if you're having a problem, the coolant temp gauge should be enough.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

it's been said that along w/ the thermostat, it's a more accurate way to know engine temp.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

I would venture to say it is needed more than an oil pressure gauge? I think many people are under the impression that first, they will notice a low oil pressure lol, but lets say you weren't watching the road, you were on a dyno, and you weren't watching your AFR gauge (IMO MUCH more important) or your boost gague (can be very important too, or your IAT also can be critical, so lets say you were staring at your oil pressure gauge, and you see a drop in pressure....IMO it will be too late.

The only thing an oil pressure gauge is good for is to make sure you are following the rule of thumb of 10psi per 1000rpm increase. This basically makes sure you are running proper pressure and or viscocity, but this is more when testing out a new build. And it can be used to notice trends, which can catch a problem early, so can be a good gauge to monitor. I love multi-gauges, it is always good to monitor a DD, it can't hurt really, and it can only help. It REALLY helps trouble shooting too.

A temp gauge lets you know when it is safe to beat on it, and will tell you when to stop beating on it, and or you need to upgrade your oil cooling and or you need to change your oil because you hit X temp for too long. Though pressure could be used (once known) to guestimate oil temp at idle. I don't think you need to have any of those gauges stand alone, but it would be great to have both in a multgauge or something so you could flip through and monitor every now and then. Also if you are old school and have a oil cooled turbo, it would be nice to see before you shut the engine off.

IMO, AFR>Boost/vacuum is the only nessisary, everything else would be great to monitor. Though if you are one of those who run your turbo ragged outside of its efficiency, an IAT might be a good idea. Though even an AFR gauge can be a too late gauge, alway make small changes is the best route.

My
Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

I like having that sort of info - My stellar has oil PSI and volts gauges stock, and they have saved me on numerous occasions. When I get into my Pony, I feel deprived of information!

I'm going to add a bunch of gauges to it though, things like rear axle and trans temp, oil temp, etc. Gauges and senders I got while visiting a truck junkyard
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

if you want nearly 81 gauge readouts from ur car via the obd-II port and no messy wires..try this..works out awesome for me

My link

think dashawk..only better
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

IMHO, Oil temp gauge would only be "needed" in racing/towing applications. Where you are stressing the engine for long periods of time. In theory, the Coolant temp should go up equal to the Oil temp, but not always. If the car uses an air/oil cooler vs a Coolant/oil cooler, the 2 temps are not tied close enough for coolant temp to be an accurate indicator of oil temp, so there, it would be useful. On OIL/AIR cooled engines, an oil temp gauge is critical. But in water cooled engines with a coolant/oil cooler, then it's not really needed unless you are going to be doing 20+ minute races or towing.

Oil PRESSURE gauges are VERY valuable in my opine. In the case of a catastrophic failure (oil pressure falls to 10psi or less) it alerts you to the problem and just might save parts/bits of your engine(wont save everything, but some parts). If you didn't have that gauge, you'd let the engine run for more seconds/minutes saying "WTF"...and end up with a hunk of useless metal.

Also, If you know your engine/gauges, you learn whats "normal" and what's "odd". If you are usually run 45psi @ 3500 PM when warmed up...but one day you notice you're down to 38psi @ 3500rpm, you've got an early indicator of some problem and can do a tear down to find it/fix it before it does serious damage. If you don't have that oil pressure gauge, you'll never know you have a problem until something goes bad in a major way.

Lastly, I'd recommend an oil pressure gauge to anyone who modifies their oil system. Adding an oil cooler, oil line for a turbo? Get a OP Gauge. You need to know if you blow a line, tear a line etc...
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I have an oil temp gage and like Random says unless you are stressing the motor it's not needed. The oil temp will run just a bit above coolant temp under ordinary circumstances. +10-20F
Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

though if anyone would like an auto meter nexus oil temp gauge (new but opened box), i have one @ a very discounted rate pm me if you know of anyone looking for one.