Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Memory foam seats

Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Elantra
Default Memory foam seats

I have a memory foam bed and it’s the best thing anyone could ever have. So how hard would it be to make memory foam seats? You probably would have to have an upholstery shop rip off the seat covers, install new memory foam and then put the covers back on. Or someone could do it themselves if they were able to get their hands on memory foam.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

No harder than any reupholsery job . . . that is, pretty hard if you've never done it before and want it to look really nice. Cakewalk for an upholstery shop.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Do a foamectomy, Miata style. That said, I do have a spare set of X3 seats lying around my garage...
Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I had a memory foam 3" topper that I chopped up and cut out a piece to fit nicely on my super uncomfortable driver seat in my tiburon then threw a car seat cover on to hide it. It's been on my seat for the past 3 years and the seat still feels way more comfortable to sit on compared to that hard leather cushion.

Complete memory foam seats probably wouldn't work because you wouldn't have any support from the seat when taking a corner quickly and you would be falling through the seat as you corner. The only drawback to the topper I put on is that I sit like 1 1/2" higher than normal making the side supports on the lower cushion less effective. I ended up cutting the foam down and tapering it on the sides so I would sit low enough to stay planted during extreme cornering.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Again, I'm going to plug the foamectomy here. It is a free way to have a perfectly tailored and supportive seat, with an OEM appearance.

topic/66964-the-foamectomy/
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

To easy to fall asleep behind the wheel with memory foam.