Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Important info re; ARP studs for Tiburon/Elantra

Old 04-19-2002, 03:03 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important info re; ARP studs for Tiburon/Elantra

About two months ago, I made a post regarding the "proper part numbers" to order to get a set of head and main studs for the BETA engine. Well, there were several problems that I wasn't aware of on these. And actually, it was ARP (Al Nichols) who called ME to warn me off...

First off, to anyone who has purchased a set of the studs that I recommended before, do NOT install them into your cylinder head. Even though I hadn't even touched them yet (because my engine still isn't ready to assemble sad.gif ), I had called about two weeks ago asking for torque specs on the head bolts.

The lady on the other end of the phone told me to tighten them down to 48lb/ft for the 10mm studs, and 62b/ft for the 12mm studs. As you may or may not be aware, Hyundai doesn't offer stock torque specs, they instead offer a base torque spec PLUS two 65-degree turns. The stock parts are known as torque-to-yield bolts, and this is why you should never reuse stock head bolts once they've been torqued like that. ARP studs are not torque-to-yield, so you can re-use them many times without worrying...

Well, Al Nichols called ME just a day later and said "If you've installed those studs in your motor, you need to stop driving..." After I calmed him down a bit wink and explained that it wasn't even together yet, he warned me that torquing the ARP studs to the "recommended" torque settings could potentially destroy the head and could warp the block... Mostly because they haven't the first clue on the clamping force of the stock bolts after you've done the whole "35lbs + two 65-degree turns"

I sent him a large handful of new stock studs (three of the 12mm and five of the 10mm parts) for him to test at his facility. Once the testing is done, he is going to BUILD a brand new Hyundai Tiburon-specific set of studs.

Now here's the kicker... They have never, and still do not "make" an ARP kit for any Hyundai engine. So the studs that are being sold from RPW are NOT recommended to be used. Al has specifically warned me that aluminum head and iron block combos REQUIRE an undercut shank stud, and the 12mm studs they sold me are NOT undercut and are part of the reason why the block could potentially kill itself if torqued down like they were suggesting.

So, here's the final deal.

A single set of 100% custom made-specifically-for-BETA studs will cost around $600 to the purchaser. That would be me sad.gif But if a few more people wanted a set, the price would get cheaper and cheaper depending on how many actually want it.

I know there are a few people here who are wanting to build up for 300+ wheel horsepower. I figure if we could get just FIVE sets sold, these would be getting close to "normal" head stud prices (ie around $200 total)

I'll have to re-purchase the set I've already bought sad.gif but that's fine by me. I'm just hoping that a few of you would like a set of these, so that I could help to defray the $600 I'd have to spend. Since these will be a one-off set, this will be the ONLY production run they'll make.

We will not have price estimates until next week. I believe the payment plan to ARP would be half down, half on delivery. It will take approximately eight weeks to build the sets once we get the orders submitted.

It might be advantageous if one or two of the shops here wanted to get in on this deal. These will likely be hard to come by later in life...
Old 04-19-2002, 03:25 AM

dam that sucks red

Hope everything turns out alright

I would go into the group buy but im just getting piston stuff done,... i only want 230whp

Im only demented, not insane.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:21 AM

Red-i'm absolutely sure the stock bolts will hold all the power you want.La pulga running 40 pounds of boost and 150 NOS shot in the new Beta engine they are using uses stock bolts.So it is totally insane to spend $600 in bolts.Are you NUTS? Even $200 bucks is high compared to $40 that will cost the stock ones.I used the stock bolts and i'm planing to run about 20 + pounds of boost and since i will have it tune soon i'll let you know if my bolts don't hold smile.gif Thats my opinion but if you want to spend $600 bucks in bolts go ahead and join 2UNIQ in the wasting $$$ dept. smile.gif smile.gif