Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

? Fog Lights....Trying to Get Some

Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Elantra GLS
Default ? Fog Lights....Trying to Get Some

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and tried to find this topic already covered, but didn't have any luck.

We just got a new 2011 Elantra GLS (preferred package) and paid the dealership extra on our purchase contract (due bill) to install factory fog lights for us. That's the one thing we wanted that that model didn't offer and we didn't want to get the limited. We were told they would be ordered by the parts dept. and service would call us when they arrived to set an appt. for the install. Well...a week later we called to follow up and we were told that they aren't available for the Elantra.

Now, we have to deal with how they are going to give us our money back and what to do....

So...my question here is does anyone know anything about where to get a factory fog light set or how hard/easy it would be to get them installed? I found a set at shark racing but dealing with them in S Korea and the many reviews that were less than satisfactory makes me a little hesitant to use them. I want to know were I might be able to go to purchase and then get them installed correctly.

Any help and advice appreciated!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You mean an aftermarket (non-Hyundai) light kit?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

A lot of people have had bad experiences with Shark Racing. I would contact ImportShark.com first to see if they have a set in stock, and if they'll match the SR price. ImportShark is a very reputable company.

On that note, KarlT recently got a fog light kit from Shark Racing and had it installed on his 2011 Elantra:

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...-eye-liner-kit
Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Elantra

Originally Posted by hyundaielantra11
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and tried to find this topic already covered, but didn't have any luck.

We just got a new 2011 Elantra GLS (preferred package) and paid the dealership extra on our purchase contract (due bill) to install factory fog lights for us. That's the one thing we wanted that that model didn't offer and we didn't want to get the limited. We were told they would be ordered by the parts dept. and service would call us when they arrived to set an appt. for the install. Well...a week later we called to follow up and we were told that they aren't available for the Elantra.

Now, we have to deal with how they are going to give us our money back and what to do....

So...my question here is does anyone know anything about where to get a factory fog light set or how hard/easy it would be to get them installed? I found a set at shark racing but dealing with them in S Korea and the many reviews that were less than satisfactory makes me a little hesitant to use them. I want to know were I might be able to go to purchase and then get them installed correctly.

Any help and advice appreciated!

Fog lights are not an available option for the GLS. I purchased mine from Shark Racing as a "kit". I had reservations about buying from SR so I ordered the M&S Chrome Emblem Set first, ($60.00) ... and I got it. I then ordered the FL Kit, ($150.00). When I first asked my dealer to install it, they refused, pointing out it was NOT a factory option. When I recieved the kit, (the kit consists of the lights, replacement column switch and add-on wiring harness, and ALL of the parts were Hyundai), they agreed to install it for $200.00. Well worth it, since installation requires ripping the column apart:

I also installed a wood dash kit:

[img]http://www.karltimmerman.com/composites/dashboard3s.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.karltimmerman.com/composites/dashboard4s.jpg[img]

Eyeliner kit, tinted windows and spoiler, (spoiler is not available from Hyundai either). This weekend, I'll install mudguards, (factory), red wheel center emblem and:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AMESINDXX%3AIT

Here is how it looks now:

[img]http://www.karltimmerman.com/composites/Elantra1ss.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.karltimmerman.com/composites/Elantra2ss.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.karltimmerman.com/composites/Elantra3ss.jpg[img]

KarlT
Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Reading on other members previous experiences with Shark Racing is that they often claim to have the part in stock. You won't run into many problems if it's in stock within the U.S., but if it's "in stock" in South Korea, you may be waiting a few months for the order to arrive.

It seems that Karl had a good experience. If you do order from them, consider Paypal or Credit Card so you can stop payment, request reimbursement, or follow some sort of action if you don't receive the part timely (i.e., 3 weeks)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by majik
Reading on other members previous experiences with Shark Racing is that they often claim to have the part in stock. You won't run into many problems if it's in stock within the U.S., but if it's "in stock" in South Korea, you may be waiting a few months for the order to arrive.

It seems that Karl had a good experience. If you do order from them, consider Paypal or Credit Card so you can stop payment, request reimbursement, or follow some sort of action if you don't receive the part timely (i.e., 3 weeks)

From experience: shipping time from Korea is about 3 weeks, (SR will issue a tracking code and you can track it that way. They did on both items I purchased. The big time holdup is in customs.) To be fair, they were responsive to Emails and shared the time frames involved. On their site, they specifically state they keep a limited inventory. Email them and ask if they have what you want in stock. This is not an endorcement, just a statement of my experience with them. As an aside, on Ebay, just the foglights were listed for $99.99 - $139.99. I could not find the switch nor wiring harness listed ANYWHERE. $150.00 seemed a steal to me.

KarlT
Old 05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Administrator

^ thanks for giving your experiences, Karl. We get a lot of new members asking about SR after reading several concerns across the internet.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by majik
^ thanks for giving your experiences, Karl. We get a lot of new members asking about SR after reading several concerns across the internet.

(smiling) ... you are most welcome, (and I do keep voting!! Any ideas about removing the Elantra lettering on the rear deck? I would like to replace it with the "Avante" emblem: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyund...Q5fAccessories

Warm Regards

KarlT
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Unless there are posts holding the lettering to the car, usually dental floss will be good enough to use as a "saw" to cut the glue, then something like goo gone or goof off (I use isopropanol) to get the adhesive off.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

For removing the badges I prefer fishing line, it's a little stronger than dental floss but whatever works. Just remember to warm up the "glue" with a hairdryer a little it helps with the removal.

I have never had a problem with Shark Racing and have received my items with no problems what so ever. KFX performace is another story...... nothing but problems!