Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited Front suspension issue. Help!

Old 09-27-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited
Default 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited Front suspension issue. Help!

♤I tried to search specific year and issue before i started a new thread and didnt find anything. If i am wrong i appoligize in advance.♤
Now, backstory..
I bought this car (2012 Hyundai elantra limited 30k miles) near Pittsburgh,Pa (used) in 2015. When I test drove it i didn't notice clunking over holes and dips. They showed me like 1k in work that was just done to it and I was cool. They said it was a trade in. Now, this is a main dealership, not a used car place. When i got home (worse roads where I am), it was pretty hard hitting (like almost no suspension sound) while driving over bumps. Only happens on passenger side front.

I took the car back several times and the dealership was unable to replicate sound (Again, paved roads there). On 3rd visit, they kept it for 3 days(found nothing) I went back up and drove with service kid to show him but, could only mildly replicate sound randomly. Out of frustration, I just gave up. Got tired of taking days off and sitting up there forever.

Note: Though, I didn't catch on to this when I bought it, I remember service manager telling finance guy that this car couldnt get an extended warranty. Should have been a red flag. I know they knew this car had issues prior to buying it and they wanted to get away from it asap. I should have turned into for lemon law but got lazy.

Ok, Here is what I know.
1. Carfax clean no wrecks
2.I was recently told it was struts (during a diff serv station inspection)- I just replaced it with a quick strut all in one. *It didn't fix it *
3.Then, I noticed sway bar retainer on the boot came off, so, I replaced the sway bar and the sway bar bushing (I read they go bad too and cause this issue)Now, I just got done putting all that stuff back on and figured, I got it now! Nope
Test drove it again and seemed to not be as bad, but it is still loud and seriously messed up.
4.Then, i checked the wheel hub, no play or noise while suspended in the air
5.After more research, I ran out of things to check. I looked over all boots, seals, bushings and nothing else seems wrong. No rocks, branches or forgein objects lodged anywhere. I just dont understand it. Someone please help me with this I am nutting out.lol
I am passing down to my son when he graduates this year and wanna have it fixed before he gets it.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I would check ball joints and lower control arm bushings. You did everything in the order I would have, if it makes you feel any better! LOL!