Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

2.2l Elantra??

Old 01-01-2003, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.2l Elantra??

There's some guy running around here with a 4G63 turbo Eclipse (2nd gen) saying he has a head from a 2.2l Elantra...bolted right on he says...now i laughed when i heard this and my best friend said he saw the engine and said the valve cover looked exactly like mine (1.8/2.0 head/valve cover), however i haven't seen it yet with my own eyes.

First of all i looked all over Hyundai WebTech and couldn't find a 2.2l period. Does hyundai make one? I personally haven't found it. And if he just doesnt have his info straight and has a BETA series head on his 4G63, will it actually bolt up? BTW, my best friend said it also ran like crap.

Why would anyone want to do such craziness??? Swaping components within the same family motor is fine but sheesh, this goes beyond common sense for me....
Old 01-02-2003, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It is an assine, but common practice to swap a stock 2.0L 4G63 Head on the 2.4L Mitsu block.

I have never heard of anyone slapping a LARGER head on a SMALLER block. That is equally as assinine.

No, there is no Hyundai 2.2L motor. There is a 1.6L, 1.8L and 2.0L beta, and a 1.8L, 2.0L and 2.4L Sirius. The Sirius head would swap onto his 4G63, but again, it would be assinine, and would NOT be 2.2L
Old 01-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Red

The 4G63 is not a drop-in replacement for the stock Elantra motor (96-current model years), and the G4Gx heads do NOT bolt onto a 4G63 motor, period. It is a physical impossibility. The cam drive gear is on the wrong side of the head to bolt-on, and the head exhaust ports do not match the 4G63 exhaust ports, so that a turbo Eclipse manifold doesn't bolt on either.

Besides the point, it would be absolutely useless to go with a 4G63 only to kill its performance with a BETA head.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:33 AM

You know Red, come to think of it the intake/exhaust cam gears are on the opposite sides of eachother when comparing a BETA to a 4G63 (stateside at least). I dunno how or what he did but i'm going to have to see it. That and we all know the engineering that went into both engines wouldn't coincide to equal more power...thats crazy... like swapping a hippo's a$$ to a donkey. Just doesn't make sense. Thanks guys.

[ January 02, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]
Old 01-12-2003, 03:00 PM

The only way you can get a 2.2L hyundai motor is be fitting a stroker kit

RPM Performance has these kits available for the 2.0 hyundai motors. They also have 1.9L stroker kits for the 1.8 series motors.

This is a good site to look over as they have items ranging from mild cams right through to super tourer quad throttle bodies ALL TO SUIT OUR CARS!!!!!

[ January 12, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: WHIZZN ]