Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

why do my clutch bearings keep failing?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

My old X3 with 240km on it started to whine when the clutch was depressed. That said, it sounds like you have had a very bad run. I'd try and run an aftermarket component if you are having more trouble with the stock unit.

I'm just going to throw it out there that your driving style might have something to do with it. Do you sit with the clutch in at lights/rest your foot on the pedal often?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

hey not offended if its my fault, i'd rather figure that out and save me future headache.

usually i put it in neutral sitting at a stop light and keep my foot off the clutch. been having trouble with my lower back on my left side, so its been kinda necessary. holding the clutch down for extended periods like that tends to cause me a bit of pain.

also, i have been in stop and go traffic to and from work a little. joys of working near toronto.

i'm almost wondering if the old trans with the screwed bearing caused some premature wear on the bearing before it really sh*t the bed and was replaced. it wasn't long, but hey might be enough. truth is immediately after replacing the clutch assembly and bearing, i STILL heard some noise and just said screw it. this is on new parts! after the trans was replaced the noise went away entirely until now.

its still very very quiet (my g/f couldn't hear it, i have a bit of an ear for machines) so i think i'm going to ride it out until the spring and see how it sounds then.

any other ideas please drop 'em, love to hear them. if there's anything about my driving style that could cause this then please let me know. i tend to keep my foot off the clutch as much as possible. wish one of you guys could be in the passenger seat with me for a little run, might give me some insight!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Sounds pretty reasonable. You might have just had tremendously bad luck. Maybe give the hydraulics a bleed, and make sure the pedal is correctly adjusted to avoid constant pressure on the bearing.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

well problem is that there is constant pressure on the bearing by design....there's a spring inside the clutch cylinders to hold them onto the pressure plate. its not a lot of pressure, but its there.