Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

What does it mean to have a built motor?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Accent
Default What does it mean to have a built motor?

Forgive my newbiness but I hear the terms "built motor" alot and was wondering what defines a motor being "built?" Is it blueprinted and balanced with a turbo or supercharger, or is it something else to give the meaning of being built?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I think that people's individual definition varies wildly, but generally if you've had to replace internal components with better ones, and/or do significant internal machining/balancing then you have at least a somewhat built engine.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

...also,stock motors are also blue printed and balanced,surperchargers and turbos have nothing to do with a "built" motor, they are forced induction mods added onto a stock or a "built "motor.In a nutshell "built" means a complete teardown and rebuild of a stock motor using high performance replacement parts and/or modified stock parts(ie pistons,cams,rods,etc) and/or honing,polishing,machining,shaving etc stock /performance engine parts to achieve maximum performance......so,rebuilding your engine ,replacing with stock only internals ,lowering your compression via decompression plate,adding a turbo and nos does not make it "built".