Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

turing a/c on causing stiff brake pedal

Old 07-22-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default turing a/c on causing stiff brake pedal

I own a 04 accent, 1.6L DOHC. Now that it is summer I have started using the a/c. When I turn it on and press the brake it feels like I am not going to stop. The brake pedal is all the way to the floor and the car is still moving. Will still stop but over a further distance then when the a/c is off. The brake pedal feels stiff like I have no brake booster assisstance. As soon as I turn off the a/c the brake feels less stiff and normal. The car stops fine. What could cause this? Vaccum leak? Is there more or less vaccum with the a/c on? The faster I am going the more normal the brake feels with the a/c on. It is when I am slowing down that the brake feels like the brake booster is not working. But only with the a/c on. As said the brake is fine with the a/c off.

So I have not been using the a/c
Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es

I have the exact same problem in my 02 GL, only mine becomes spongy instead of stiff with the a/c on. Any ideas would be great!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I don't know about your cars, but mine has a harness of vacuum hoses to actuate something in the air conditioner. They all go up to the A/C control panel on the dash and down to who knows where. If one of those if off or broken, it could be a huge vacuum leak.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM

So a vacuum leak in a hose dealing with the a/c could cause loss in vacuum towards the brake booster?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

There is only the one source of vacuum, brother.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 AM

I know there is only one source of vacuum. What I meant is that it is causing vacuum loss from one of many vacuum hoses.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Or more than one. A leak anywhere affects the whole system.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stocker
Or more than one. A leak anywhere affects the whole system.

Does anyone know where I can get a diagram the the whole vaccum set-up? I checked out the hyundai service site and didn't see it. I checked all the vaccum lines running to the intake but can't see any lines that run to the a/c. You got the brake booster, pcv, the inlet line byside the pcv, two lines from the coolant under the intake, and the evap line. Any others?

Does the whole climate control run the heat and a/c? Sometimes with the a/c turned off, it feels like I got loss of power like I do with the a/c on. And a few times this summer I had condencation dripping from under the car and the a/c wasn't on, as well as, the air felt cool through the vent. On the flip side, sometimes if I had the a/c turned off with the temperature set to cold, I would get hot air like the heater was on coming through the vent. Any ideas on what could cause this? I know the temperature dial controls just a flip from hot to cold and can hear it moving side to side.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Dude you have more problems with this car...

There should be a vacuum diagram under the hood
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM

What can I say. If I knew I could get money through insurance I would set it ablaze. The vacuum diagram doesn't show the a/c vacuum setup.