Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Tuning Megasquirt. Random Handbrake light

Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Accent
Default Tuning Megasquirt. Random Handbrake light

My hand brake light will come on after a few mins of driving. No other issues have been noticed.

I also have ABS light on but i think that's related to using beta Drive shafts and not the Accent ones.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by Antonyr123
My hand brake light will come on after a few mins of driving. No other issues have been noticed.

I also have ABS light on but i think that's related to using beta Drive shafts and not the Accent ones.

well do your beta drive shafts have a tone wheel?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
well do your beta drive shafts have a tone wheel?

What do u mean tone mate ?

They have the Teeth what the abs sensor reads. But because ABS sensor are like VR Crank sensor. the Gap or teeth maybe different and forcing the light on.

I always thought the handbrake was very simple..

(Ground > Switch > Dash Light > Power) or similar setup. Is the handbrake Switch a 12V or a ground ? maybe i have a bad ground somwhere.

Because hyundai use a 3pin Bosch Idle Control Valve. you have to use a 40Watt Resistor that is grounded with a 12V ignition supply to allow the Idle control valve to keep shut then the Computer forces it open when it's used for cold starts ect

The resistor is grounded to the center beam where most things on the car are grounded.

Maybe if i run a thickish cable from the battery to the Chassis beam it will cure the problem Because of a better ground ?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:28 PM

the "teeth" = tone wheel

some of the beta shafts didnt have a tone wheel preinstalled on it, if it doesnt have the wheel, then you know what your problem is that would be the simplest solution if that was the situation

sounds like you have already eliminated that so....i have no idea what the next step would be although id check and see if the tone wheel (teeth) can be removed from the old axle and reinstalled onto the new axle, some can be removed (with care that is)

looks like you sorta know what the problem is, once you get it goin alright let me know, im tempted to go MS myself and just sell my FIC

good luck!!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have an intermittent light on a simple circuit, something is flaky. bad switch, bad relay, something simple. Can't speak to your specific situation though.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai x3

Did you end up working this one out?? For reference I have had the same issue a couple of times in the past and both times it was right before my alternator died.. now its on all the time but I know the switch is busted.. just saying I don't know why it would indicate the alt but it has preceded that 2wice for me now..
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 PM

alright mate.

I couldn't tell you.

It could be related to alternator. Because the Logging system on my engine Control Notices a sudden Engine power drop and Return (14.2v to 11.8V for 0.5 seconds)

So it could be the alternator dieing. Sadly because i have a beta engine i could of wired the alternator wrong... but it does charge most of the time. i guess ill have to wait till it breaks.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
the "teeth" = tone wheel

some of the beta shafts didnt have a tone wheel preinstalled on it, if it doesnt have the wheel, then you know what your problem is that would be the simplest solution if that was the situation

sounds like you have already eliminated that so....i have no idea what the next step would be although id check and see if the tone wheel (teeth) can be removed from the old axle and reinstalled onto the new axle, some can be removed (with care that is)

looks like you sorta know what the problem is, once you get it goin alright let me know, im tempted to go MS myself and just sell my FIC

good luck!!

My problem is i cant reset the abs unit myself because i don't have the right tool (when i removed the ecu i did leave all the Airbag/abs diagnostic stuff) But without reseting it and testing each time i wont know if it works
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Turbo

Hand brake is a ground activated. It sounds like a bad wiring issue to me. After warm up your fan should switch on if set correctly, I'm curious if some how you've got that ground output to activate the fan relay is miswired and causing your E brake light ? . I'm running a ms 1 v3. Here is the idle valve circuit diagram