Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Strut Bar Noise

Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent 1.6l
Default Strut Bar Noise

So a few days ago I picked up and installed a new ultra racing front strut bar. The bar actually made a noticeable difference and it feels better cornering but at low rpms it makes a rattling noise. I have checked other forums and others suggested making sure its on snug. Well I have checked and double checked that its snug and it doesn't appear to be rubbing on the hood. I have tried to recreate the problem while looking under the hood but it seems to only do it when I'm in the car. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:29 AM

Mattman540, is noise only being heard when hood is closed? Perhaps the bar is rubbing on bottom of hood due to vibration from engine when closed. Is it a constant or intermittent noise? IS the bar installed on a 2002 Hyundai Accent with 1.6 engine? I ask because it appears Ultra Racing doesn't manufacture a bar for that application. Item UR-TW2-168 states for 2003 application (no mention of engine size). Remember, these bars are test fitted to vehicles available in Malaysia and not US. I would confirm fitment to your application by contacting Ultra Racing (visit site for contact information); http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Contact_Us_Paqe.asp

Long story short, I had purchased strut bar from Ultra Racing vendor(UR-TW2-653, 06 Sonata), for 07 Sonata with 3.3. Confirmed with vendor that it would fit my application before purchasing. After purchase, bar would not fit due to just slightly hitting rear of intake manifold. I contacted Ultra Racing directly and was told that the bar was never test fitted on a US vehicle with 3.3 V6, only on 2.4 engine, since 3.3 was not offered in their country! I contacted vendor afterwards, who was understanding and received refund and asked that they update their website with this information, so other customers were made aware. Ultra Racing site still has not updated the site (only states 06 Sonata with no additional information). It's unfortunate for me because Ultra Racing is one of the few companies that make a quality one-piece steel strut bar (instead of aluminum adjustable bars found everywhere that flex).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:29 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Good post Hspeed. I agree, you need to check where and how it is rattling. You might be able to get away with wrapping it in foam in the short term, if that is the problem.

If it is just vibrating because of its construction, you need to add mass to it to raise the natural frequency past what the engine can produce. Gluing or welding blocks of metal should do the trick at the expense of being unsightly.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's just going to be rubbing on something.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent 1.6l

Yes I have the 1.6l. I purchased the bar from ultra racing USA on eBay and they said the 2003 parts would fit the 02. It does seem to only happen when the hood is down but I can't find any marks on top that would indicate rubbing against the hood. It does sit really close to the top of the engine, maybe its rattling against the engine itself? It only makes noise under 2000rpm and when shifting. Has anyone here tried the shark racing bar or maybe I could fit a rubber piece on the bar where it might be rattling against something?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Sounds like it's rubbing on your hood. Put some blu tac where you think it might be rubbing, if it gets squished when you close your hood... you have your answer.

If it were rubbing against the engine, you could open your hood and look for yourself?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI

You can also put some chalk on the bar and see what rubs off.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

My bar contacted the throttle body for a bit until it wore away enough of the bar's metal and didn't rattle anymore.