Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Proper Launch with a '10 Automatic Accent?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent GL Sport
Default Proper Launch with a '10 Automatic Accent?

I'm racing a friend's mazda 6 v6 station wagon in a week. I'm upgrading the exhaust tomorrow. I've been reading that you can do a launch on a automatic transmission by keeping it in D, holding the break, giving it gas, finding the stall point on the tachometer then letting go of the break.

But i heard that some cars have torque management, and you can kill your tranny doing this.

Has anyone done any launches on a auto accent?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I think you may take him off the line then he is going to get you shortly after that.

A lot of non performance cars do not like brake torquing. I dont know if any of the automatic hyundai guys here have tested that, but I know the sonata I had did not like that or using the stupid fake shifter thing. The quickest it went for me was in D and smash on the gas when you want to go.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent GL Sport

Thanks for the reply. My car is light, his car is heavy. His car is the station wagon version too, which is rated 8 seconds from 0-60. Right now with urinium spark plugs and my custom intake, I do about 8.6-9 depending on the run.

I'm confident with my new exhaust system with also a high flow cat to add to it, will take the cake. But you're right. He does have a v6. Who knows. Maybe he hasn't changed his spark plugs in a while thus low conductivity effecting acceleration. We'll have to see!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

the toyota yaris i deliver pizza in stalls up pretty nicely. the beauty of fwd is that you can stall it as high as the car can stall, without worrying about doing a big burnout. mash the brake and the accelerator at the same time, then let go of the brake when you need to go.

it is harmful to the torque convertor if you stay in a 'stalled' state for a long period of time. its like slipping your clutch, but worse. you end up burning your tranny fluid.