Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Outter tie rod

Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent GL
Default Outter tie rod

My outter tie needs to be replaced. Is this something can be changed easily or should I take it to a mechanic? Im comfortable doing my own suspension drop and lowering my car. Would it be about the same difficulty level or easier/worst? I know I would have to take the car to a mechanic regardless for an alignment after its changed.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

As long as its not rusted solid, which based on your location you should be fine, you should be able to do it in your driveway with basic hand tools in about 20mins. You just need to try and put the new one back on somewhat close to where it was originally and go get it aligned.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

not that hard actually as long as its not rusted to hell I'd say go for it

measure how far the old one went down the threads and reinstall the new one as close as possible, your alignment guy will love you

oh and be prepared to swing a BFH at it
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

what i recommend u do if its tight. I sand the flat edges then use a adjustable wrench. I think England is wettest country in world lol So i know about hard bolts.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:17 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

you can either use a pickle fork and wedge it open with a hammer, it will kill the boot but you're replacing it anyways, or you can take a lead or mechanic's grade hammer "no nail hammer" and whack the sh*t out of the tapered knuckle..if you have a torch..it will help also since it relieves the surface tension.