Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Outragious opinion: Accents do better in autocross compared to other Hyundais

Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Accent
Default Outragious opinion: Accents do better in autocross compared to other Hyundais

This might be an out control opinion, but I strongly believe that Accents can out handle and maneuver other Hyundai's, like Tibs, Elantras, Sonatas, and yes...even Gen Coupes in auto cross events. Feel free to disagree if you want.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Elantras... not that much heavier with beta powa. no bias
Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

This needs to be tested though. Slalom speeds, 60-0 braking distances, lift off maneuvres, cornering Gs etc etc. Besides, autox events use different layouts each time, so some events might be more suited to the more powerful hyundais.

I know that my beta accent has atrocious handling.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I am a huge fan of using an Accent at autox, but my opinion is that the GC would be a lot faster in most situations. There was someone running a GC in a stock class (exhaust, slicks, and struts only mods allowed in their class) and they were consistently quicker than me. I was not on slicks, but I'm confident that it would generally have not made up the time difference.

The Accent has light weight on it's side, but the suspension is pretty low tech, and the geometry is not very favorable. It is also woefully underpowered. We did an autocross once with a timed segment that was an eight mile drag start. I was something like 95th out of 98 entrants through that segment and I have a fair amount of engine mods and some lightening has been done.

Some of this can be overcome satisfactorily, but you'll still be fighting the poor geometry and low power, not to mention that an open diff and FWD are not your friend.

If I had it to do over I would not get into autox with an Accent. I love mine, but it isn't cost effective, and isn't class competitive in stock classes.