Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Nos on a 2k1 Accent GL

Old 04-17-2002, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nos on a 2k1 Accent GL

Hello all,

Which kit would I need for a 2k1 Accent GL 1.6L returnless fuel system??? Or is there any hope of putting NOS on it??????

Thanks

Old 04-17-2002, 01:43 PM

(First, in case you didn't realize, NOS is a brand name for Nitrous Oxide kits)

You can put nitrous on any engine that uses air. Yes, that's pretty much all of them wink

Nitrous oxide is NO2, and burns similar to O2(oxygen)--which makes up about 21% of air. Adding NO2 provides more oxygen to help burn the fuel, plus a Nitrogen atom which will also react with certain parts of the fuel as it burns. The final result is more gasses produced during combustion, which drives the pistons harder, creating more power.

The nitrous kits have some hookup to increase your fuel flow--the zex kit I think connects to your throttle position sensor. The extra N atom to react will require a bit of extra fuel--but the Hyundai Beta motors tend to run rich from the factory so it's not an issue. If your car has a MAP sensor it becomes a bit more tricky--it may not quite add as much fuel as you need. This is why a lot of people run S-AFC ("Super" Air Fuel Controllers) in conjunction with nitrous--to supply the fuel they need when hitting the boost button.

Returnless system shouldn't matter so long as your injectors can supply the fuel you need, and this should be the case unless you're going for some crazy-ass huge shot. The fuel system starts to matter when you go to upgrade it or go to a wet system.

[ April 17, 2002, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Veniston ]
Old 04-17-2002, 06:27 PM

Im putting the 55 hp zex system in my 99 accent this sunday. wonder how many probs im gonna have with it. by the way iom not sure if the MAP sensor is the same things as the MAF sensor and im not sure they do the same thing. think ill have any probs? and where if needed will i find one of these S-AFC's? thanks for any help
Dave
Old 04-17-2002, 09:28 PM

So Vensiton.....you are saying a dry kit will work with it?? And BTW NOS is made Holley smile.gif . The reason I just stated "NOS" is that's what they are commonly reffered as. How would I be able to tell if the injectors are up to the task or not with out running the engine too lean as risk detetination(sp)? Is there a formula to figure this out?

Old 04-18-2002, 08:42 AM

Oh please don't take my words as golden, I'm no expert on the subject tongue.gif I was also pretty bagged when I wrote the above so you should probably double-check it with someone else wink

There are people out there much more versed in the usage of nitrous--check out http://webhome.idirect.com/~trini/car/nos.html and http://webhome.idirect.com/~trini/car/zex.html for some reading about nitrous in an elantra. People say that the accent can run a 55 shot--dunno if you'll have to upgrade the fuel system.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:48 AM

First off, Holley does not make NOS. Holley owns NOS as a side company, along with Hooker, Lunati, Flowtech, Airmass, Weiand, and Earl's. All of these companies were separate at one point in time until Holley got this genius brainstorm idea to buy everyone out.

Second ... You should not run a dry system on a returnless car. On a fuel return system, you rely on the pressure regulator and injector pulse to meter the fuel supply. However, on a dry system there is no pressure regulator. Fuel supply is determined by the voltage seen at the fuel pump in the tank. You will need to run a wet system and find some way to add additional fuel to the engine in the correct amount.

ZEX does not make a nitrous system compatible with returnless cars at this time. The above information came straight from the ZEX tech department. To further demonstrate the issue, Nitrous Express has tried to run dry systems on returnless cars with dismal results ... blown motors.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:59 AM

See, this is why you should always get a second opinion wink
Old 04-18-2002, 11:09 AM

NOTE:
1. Nitrous Oxide DOES NOT BURN! It's non-flammable. Nitrous Oxide decomposes at a certain high temperature (value unknown to me) to N2 & O2. N2 does not burn. (Remember 79% of air is N2.) O2 burns.

2. As mentioned the Zex kit CANNOT be used with a returnless system. It uses the FPR to reference MP for fuel enrichment.

3. As discussed dozen of times on the forum, S-AFC cannot be used for fuel enrichment in Nitrous-induction applications.

[ April 18, 2002, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: diambo4life ]
Old 04-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>diambo4life:
O2. N2 does not burn. (Remember 79% of air is N2.) O2 burns.</div>Actually, getting totally anal-retentive, o2 does not burn...it just allows the gasoline to burn in combination with the o2. Pure o2 does not burn.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I dont think anyone has fixed the fuel problem yet.