Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

NON-power steering how it feels?

Old 03-26-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Accent 1999 2D
Default NON-power steering how it feels?

Found a donor car with regular steering rack (not power) it turns really smooth when jacked you can basically just give it fast and it will finish turning all the way on itself, all system is only rack

no hoses

no lines,

no pump,

no belt,

no container,

no liquid.

My power steering rack is leaking currently, repair kit cost as much as non-powered rack.

I always drove with power steering and wonder how much harder it will be without it, any experience with this particular car?
Old 03-26-2016, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

My tib is about 2500lbs and I drained my leaky rack disconnected the pump. In parking lot speeds it takes a fair amount of umpfh I've learned to park @ a higher speed than usual.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Disabled the PS on my Elantra to see if I would like it. The only thing that caught me off guard was the torque steer yank I got without the assistance of the pump. It was easy to manage just didn't expect it/didn't realize how much the PS pump helped keep it under control taking off like an idiot. Other than trying to move the wheel at stupidly low speeds it wasn't bad. I put the belt back on and it stayed after a few days without it.

I think the non-power racks may be easier to turn than a powered rack minus the power. I have never swapped, but I have driven cars that came without PS and they seemed easier at lower speeds.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

A non-powered rack will have a higher ratio than a drained power rack. This makes it easier to turn. If you really want manual steering, the correct way is to swap in a non-powered rack.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by i8acobra
A non-powered rack will have a higher ratio than a drained power rack. This makes it easier to turn. If you really want manual steering, the correct way is to swap in a non-powered rack.
^ THIS! ^

My 944 has a manual rack and it's fine. You do build some muscle driving it, especially at low speed but nothing outrageous and that car is 200-300lbs heavier than an RD. Simply use the correct equipment and you'll do fine.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

I think I might need a rack, which manual rack fits the rd's?

Tie rods are the same and it bolts right up?

I'm gonna change out a bunch of the bushings down there too
Old 03-28-2016, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Originally Posted by Mr. Muffin
I think I might need a rack, which manual rack fits the rd's?

Tie rods are the same and it bolts right up?

I'm gonna change out a bunch of the bushings down there too
There weren't any manual rack RD's or J2's sold in North America. I've never heard of the Accent manual rack fitting the Rd's. I assume it would be too narrow.

You could get a stock rack and depower it by removing the metal seal from the shaft. And fill the rack with grease. You can follow the diy's for other vehicles as the concept is still the same.

I've always been happy with my deleted ps pump and drained rack. It's not hard at all to turn in a 2330 pound car.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The '96-'99 Elantra was built on the same platform. Were any of those offered with manual racks?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Originally Posted by i8acobra
The '96-'99 Elantra was built on the same platform. Were any of those offered with manual racks?
I've seen HUNDREDS of J2's at pull-a-part over the years. Never seen one with a manual steering rack.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you are running with a drained rack, it seems like it would have to be grinding itself to bits and eventually you would lose all steering. That would not be optimal. You might want to put a bit of ATF in the lines and see if it comes out clean from the other side after working the wheel back and forth, or if it (hopefully not!)has shavings. When I got rid of my power steering in the Elantra, I disconnected the belt and looped the fluid lines back on themselves, so there was still fluid to lubricate just no pump in the way to resist the flow of the fluid. Steering was wonderful It's on my medium-term list of things to do properly so I can get a legal Texas inspection with an "off-road use only" setting for the power steering.

Karpov, for perspective going the other way, see my review of adding power steering to the RD platform. I can only think it would be worse with the Accent. https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ng-is-back-in/