Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

new problem

Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default new problem

As most may know by now I own an 04 accent gl 1.6L dohc with 128000km. My power steering cooler lines are leaking. The u line the runs infront of the rad. Does one know if it possible to cut the metal line and replace it with rubber flex line and just just clamp it? I mean it starts off as flex line before switching to metal. Or is the metal needed to cool? I only need to replace the line from the first metal support to just past the second. There still will be metal. Also if this is possible what is best to cut the metal lines? Pipe cutter for plumbing?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

IMO you would need to flare the ends also to keep the hose from popping off unless you used an obscene number of hose clamps. I would cut the lines with a cutoff wheel. Actually, I would probably just replace the cooler as a unit.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The actual metal cooler line is leaking? WTH did you catch a rock or something?

The cooler is on the return side, right before the reservoir. It's not super low pressure but it doesn't see 850 PSI. If the actual metal cooler line is leaking by the end where it ties to the hose, you MIGHT get away with cutting the end of the tube and slipping the hose onto an un-flared section of metal tube. You would want to use a jubilee clamp instead of the OEM spring clamp. If the metal line is leaking somewhere other than near the end, now is a great time to upgrade to something with more cooling power than a loop of exposed steel tube. Something like this but watch out for the diameter where the hoses clamp onto the cooler.

It seems odd unless you DID catch a rock that the metal would leak. Far more likely that the spring clamps would leak or that the rubber hoses are degraded and leaking. Power steering hose is as close as the local auto parts store so that's no huge deal.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:33 AM

The lines are rusted right where the support hanger before the cooler line run infront the rad
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

although it wouldn't be too hard to convert to rubber hose, i don't reccomend that you do.

the heat transfer of rubber tubing would be much slower, basically removing all your power steering cooling. power steering cooler kits are cheap as hell man, ebay that sh*t.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Originally Posted by Stocker
The actual metal cooler line is leaking? WTH did you catch a rock or something?

Some people have to deal with salt for a couple months a year. I change oil/trans/ps cooler lines ATLEAST once a week up here. And they always leak at the holders where the salt/dirt and moisture hang out.

It already runs through a cooler at pressure so changing the hose to a full rubber hose will really have no effect on heat transfer but i still don't recommend doing so.

Just replace the lines, I've tried what your going to try. Low pressure side, leaked stop for a day or two and came right back.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Ooooooh I forgot about being in the great frozen North. Then just get a replacement cooler and be done with it. The odds of truly needing a cooler on the way to work and back are pretty low, but if you ever do really get your PS fluid hot (boiling), you will be WAY better off with a cooler than without, instead of losing power steering assist when you REALLY need it!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM

the accent has a cooler for the power steering fluid?? o_0
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

No, it doesn't. Go back to bed.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: hyundai accent 2009

hi guys. im newbie to this forum., i got hyundai accent 2009 and now my car right front door lock is stock. (all doors has power lock). but it seems the right door won't open at all, i try to force unlock the door manually but i did not succeed, im not sure if it is actuator problem or just some mechanical thing. please advise me... thanks..