Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

New guy, wanting to Twincharge on Beta

Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default New guy, wanting to Twincharge on Beta

So i've owned this 4door LC for a while, a/c auto reliable. THen I stumbled onto a read about Beta motors handling upwards of 400hp w/ stock internals? I said to myself I need to have this so currently looking to sell the 4 door in exhange for a non-running hatch to swap in the Beta motor and go with a compounded setup. My question is what about the trannys? Will they hold and what's this i'm hearing about the Beta auto tranny's holding up a lot of boost? I heard somewhere that some Hyundai trannys are built by Borg Warner but common now, 9 sec. Accent in Puerto Rico with an auto swapped Beta motor? Seems unreal when Hyundai built the LC tranny to barely handle it's own power.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

auto tranny holding power? nope not unless you got a few grand to put into it

stock beta holding 400hp? possible, but will require one hell of a setup/tuner to make it work, would be easier to slap some pistons in it and go to work

twincharging? why?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The Beta block and crank and strong, so 400 isn't that crazy of a number. Now if you're doing any kind of boost it highly recommended you look into some lower compression pistons. A 10:1 boost seeking high numbers is begging for trouble. Or a very thorough professional tune, but even at that the odds are against the engine.

As for running an auto, I just don't see any way possible to make a beta auto run any kind of post-stock power. I have been through 2 of the beast with countless rebuilds on each, and that was just in the first year of ownership with no mods. To want 4x normal power to hold on an auto you're talking WPC and Cryo on each and every component. Plus you'll need to find some much stronger bearings. Level 10 claims they make this doable, and claim some crazy numbers, but in reality they have no long standing relationships with customers because (from what I understand) these claims are totally bogus. The only way to go auto would be to buy a getrag, quaife or other major race transmission, and now you're talking big bucks. In reality beta2 manuals (Elantra preferred for longer gears) come cheap, all day you can find low mile units under $300. And if you plug another hundred or so into it (shot peen and cryo the gears) you're looking about the strongest transmission that you can get for a Hyundai specifically.

As for twin charging, there's no point except bragging rights. And to make 400hp you'll never need more than a large single turbo with a decent ALS. Even the most popular stock twin turbo apps (IE: FD RX7, Skyline GTR, Supra Mk4, etc) consider a big single an upgrade.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

Here (in Puerto Rico) they use Beta II trannys. They modify the torque converter to get more RPM's for launch control. The valve body and the clutches. They do internal modification to put in better bering and more clutches.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Granted, but are we talking about a purpose built 1/4 mile monster or a streetable DD?

Maybe this holds good for small sprints or a track day, I just don't see a modded auto being reliable at all.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 AM

So the answer is, built auto trannnys will hold and otherwise no. I was just curious, not that I like auto. About the twincharging, i've just been there and done that allready so I wanted to jump on that bandwagon. I also want to put the radiator in the rear to clear up some room for all the exhaust piping. Nowadays it seems almost anybody can turbo a 4banger, but who will take the extra leap forward to have bottom and topend power. As far as tuning, I do that on my own, 7 years running Megasquirt. Oh and btw, i'm building this as a weekend street racer and nothing else. I hear you on the 10:1 and boost, so is there any cross polinating I can do as far as low compression pistons? I'm not known for buying name brand stuff.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

dont mess with moving the radiator just throw in a honda halfcore unit.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM

^ x2

As far as lower compression goes I think most people go with a .5mm gasket to lower the compression. Last I checked they were between $150 and $300. Personally I would go with lower compression pistons if you want a good quality build that will hold power a long time, especially if you're looking into something insane. But best to my knowledge there is no compatible car out there aside from buying someone's used pistons, your best bet are for new units, at which point do buy a known brand or you're asking for problems. Last I checked Wiseco's are in the $500-$550 range.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: F2 Evolution

Twin charging is realy taking off in Europe, lancia did it 20 years ago, and since then wasn't done again, now the VW/Audi group has launched a twin-charged engine, the idea being that it can be tuned with a high rpm turbo for power, yet the supercharger gives torque down the revs, so far tuners have got a twincharged engine to a 300bhp thats useable as a daily driver, on a 1.4 engine. Stock it has around 150bhp, can be taken to nearer 200bhp with bolt-ons, and even at 200bhp gets better mpg than a 85bhp 1.4 NA engined car would.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM

SHould have mentioned, I want to run 2 turbos sequentially. That's why I need the extra room up front. 1 turbo creates heat, 2 even more so not sure if that small radiator would work or not. Though it doesn't stop the Honda guys.

Beta's are what like 81mm bore? Pressed fit pistons? Need to know the rod length but where can I find that info?

So it's best to run Beta 2 motors without the CVVT, RD manual trannys for the longer gears or Beta 2 tranny for the extra strength in the case?