Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Key stuck in ignition

Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default Key stuck in ignition

Stopped by the grocery store tonight on the way home from work tonight and I found that the key would not come out of the ignition in our '09 Accent. (100% totally stock.) It's almost like the steering wheel lock is stuck on but with a lot more play in the mechanism. I can turn the car on an off like always before but the key just refuses to come out of the ignition. It check the wheel and it's not locked at all, in fact I drove it the rest of the way home and it remained stuck. I did see that the earlier Accents have something similar but if you undo the hot-wire from the battery it releases the key. I tried this and the key still wont budge. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

If moving the steering wheel while trying to remove the key didn't work, take it to the dealership. Especially if it's still under warranty. If you break the key in the ignition you could be in for a big repair.

edit- until then you might wanna park the car IN the garage
Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

+1 I hate having other people work on my cars, but the steering column is a pain to work on, and your is both new (warranty in effect!) and broken. Take her in.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Either way the dealer was taking care of it, just not sure if anyone knew what was going on.

Basically, and as expected, the dealer couldn't replicate the issue once the key came out so they just shrugged and threw a brake switch assembly at the problem. Had them look at the power steering as well which twice in the past 3 months has gone crazy. The wheel turns with ease with no feedback from the road. The steering wheel and front wheels turn, but it's like the car is lifed off the ground because there is no resistance. The first time it happened we were traveling in rush hour traffic around 35-40 mph, the second time was in a parking lot under 15 mph. Both issues "couldn't be replicated" as expected due to the sheer intermittency. It's the answer I expected but not one I really like.

I'm thinking about taking her to the dealer we bought the 07 from for a second opinion. Short of that any other ideas? I'm pretty well stumped on both issues.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Gee man, I wish I had some useful input here. Your VSS signal might be on the piss, telling the car that it's in a parking lot and that the computer should up the steering assistance.