Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Idling Funny and strange rattling noise

Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling Funny and strange rattling noise

Hey I was wondering if anyone has come across this.

My wife has a 2002 Hyundai Accent and when you start it up it seems to rev up and down and doesn't maintain a good idling RPM. Then when you put it into drive and you press down the gas the car seems to hesitate and then go. Almost like the engine is gonna kill and then it surges forward. She also was telling me that some mornings when she shifts it into drive sometimes the car makes a thud. The car has 119,000 on it and she had a new tranny put it around 60,000 when it was still under warranty.

I replaced fuel filter, plugs & wires, and we had the tranny fluid changed around 110,000/

The other thing thats more of a annoyance then a problem, when hit the gas thiers a rattling sounds coming from somewhere on the car. I thought it was a heat shield on the header beacuse it was loose, so I removed that, but i'm still hearing it. I'm ready to remove all other heat shields but i'm questioning if it is that or not.

Just wanted to get some thoughts as to what I should do. Overall the car runs fine other than the drop in MPG.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es

Does it do the thud about 2 seconds after you put it in drive? Mine does it too if I try to drive right after, I usually put it in drive and wait till it engages then go. There was something on HMA service about this for the ECU, like cold start shifting I think, suppose to fix it but I never went to a dealer and ask. My tranny also went out around 69k...
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 AM

Yea, thats exactly what it does when it makes the thud sound. When that happens I'm just waiting for the tranny to crap out.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Try testing your throttle position sensor.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 AM

I'll give that a try, its just been the strangest issue.

Any one have any ideas as to the rattling noise? I checked the rest of the heat shields and those are not the problem.

I hear the noise when I accelerate and hold the speed at around 25mph.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Does it only do it when in gear, or does it do it in neutral as well? IE, when your driving down the road and get up to around 25, pop it in neutral and give it a little bit of gas.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM

I've only noticed it while in gear, I tried putting it into neutral and just reving it to see if I can reproduce it but I couldn't.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM

=/ Does the rattle 'increase' in rate when you start moving? If it is, thats the SAME problem I had, and thats when I had to have my tranny replaced. We put it on jackstands and lifted one side at a time, took a long screwdriver and put it to the transaxel, and when we did that the sound was coming from there... I'm not sure if theres something else it could be, but thats what happened to me with that type of noise.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:54 AM

Vehicle: 2002 hyundai accent

if there is any vibration with the rattle it could be a motor/tranny mount.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM

The rattling seems to go away as it goes faster. I only have noticed it starting out and at low speeds.

I'll put it up on stands and try that out though. I'm hoping its not another tranny, because if I remeber right, I thought i've always heard that noise even after her new tranny around 60,000.