Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

How much HP can I obtain?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L Hatchback
Default How much HP can I obtain?

Hey guys! Newbie here, so hope to hear as much feedback as possible. I have an 08 Accent GS Hatchback and obviously I have limitations to work with, but I would really like to get some good pep out of it. Mainly when accelerating on the highway, where it can feel a bit laggy.

I have considered CAI or SRI but I have concerns about the check engine light coming on. I did see a Youtube video where fortunately the 08 model is the only model where the mass air flow sensor isn't right at the tubing, so I should be OK but would someone more knowledgeable be able to verify this and if so, should I go CAI, SRI or just a K&N performance filter?

Spark plugs, headers, maybe a performance catalytic converter? I have an automatic, so performance clutch is obviously not a possibility. I'm thinking the aforementioned because it's not a money drainer and really what else more is there to do than add a turbo.......but I'm not trying to be ridiculous. Any wonderful feedback would be greatly appreciated guys!! :biggrin:
Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI

Hey. So the automatic is going to feel slow no matter what, you can't downshift for higher RPM, so you have to wait for the computers to figure it out and your gearing probably isn't as short as a manual. Apart from that, a cold air intake from a 1999 non-turbo Mitsibishi Eclipse will fit (mostly because it has so many parts you can shape it as needed) http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-Ecl.../dp/B008DJ712U and it's cheap-ish. Exhaust is really up to you - it's expensive and you wont get a lot out of it except more noise.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Thank you for the input and great link. A lot cheaper too. So I'm almost better off just really tuning it up cosmetically it sounds like, yes?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Full cat back exhaust, intake, header (if you can find one for your car), lightweight under drive pulley (if you can find one), and other things like that will give you minimal gains.

Best performance for the dollar will be a nitrous wet kit. You can spend $450-500 on a kit and be good for an extra 45-65 horses depending on how big of a shot you go with and if you decide you want to do some internal work or not. It can get pricey filling up a bottle though if you use it a lot.

The next big thing would be a custom turbo kit and install with tuning. That, as you probably know, can run into the thousands upwards of $4,000 and higher depending on the parts, tuning and installation.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't think the Eclipse CAI will work with the 08? I'm not completely sure but I wouldn't think so. The engine bay is so different than the LC/2 Accents that if it fits it'll almost be magic.

An intake will improve throttle response and it'll sound a lot more aggressive, but you're only going to see a small bump in power. It'll be worth it if it can be had at a reasonable price, but don't expect a lot or you'll be disappointed.

If I could do it all over again I would either go with nitrous or straight to a turbo.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI

I thought the Eclipse intake worked with the MC models, not LC. Now I've gone and confused myself and probably given out bad information. Sorry.

Thanks for correcting me.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 AM

Thank you for the input! Everything except the custom turbo kit sounds great. Anymore than that and I feel like I'm sinking my money into something not worth the effort. Your help was appreciated!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM

@No_Name I did mean to mention that the link said it would not fit the Accent but since you mentioned you can fine tune it a bit, I figured that's what you meant by it. It seems really difficult to find a good intake for the Accent. I have been given recommendations of a homemade intake by grabbing parts at the local hardware store. Can you guys offer your opinions on that? I've seen the Youtube videos and it seems fairly simple DIY.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by no_name
I thought the Eclipse intake worked with the MC models, not LC. Now I've gone and confused myself and probably given out bad information. Sorry.

Thanks for correcting me.
I've personally installed it on an LC. Also only works easily with a manual LC or LC2. The auto doesn't fit well.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lectrus
Thank you for the input! Everything except the custom turbo kit sounds great. Anymore than that and I feel like I'm sinking my money into something not worth the effort. Your help was appreciated!
No problem. IMO your best bet is a wet nitrous kit. EASILY the best $ per hp value.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill but with the automatic you will need nitrous/turbo/engine swap to really feel a difference. The Hyundai automatics that age and older are terribly inefficient at transferring power. There is around 20% more loss to the wheels vs. an identical manual equipped car based on the hundred or so FWD Hyundais I've seen on a dyno. My 100k+ mile manual Accent made the same hp and more torque at the wheels than a brand new 2008 2.0l automatic Elantra rated at 138hp.

Originally Posted by Lectrus
@No_Name I did mean to mention that the link said it would not fit the Accent but since you mentioned you can fine tune it a bit, I figured that's what you meant by it. It seems really difficult to find a good intake for the Accent. I have been given recommendations of a homemade intake by grabbing parts at the local hardware store. Can you guys offer your opinions on that? I've seen the Youtube videos and it seems fairly simple DIY.
I've built a lot of custom intakes. If you're good at looking at the engine bay and making a plan it isn't too hard to go find parts to bring the plan to reality. If you have a MAF you'll have a lot tougher time with this and the design would depend on the MAF style. I know some years of the MC body style Accent had an inline MAF, but I think that some used a MAP.

Also, some of the Hyundais through this year range have the ECU on the airbox. If you reroute the air the ECU can overheat. You can still upgrade the tubing for better flow but in that case you can't safely bypass the airbox.