Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

How can I make my Accent GT quicker?

Old 07-22-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I make my Accent GT quicker?

Within the last month I purchased a used indigo colored 1996 Accent GT with 37,000 miles and a 5spd. The previous owner had installed a cone air filter, relocated the battery to the trunk, installed a Dynomax muffler, strut tower braces, and 15* Motegi rims.

I raced the car on import night last week at Dragway 42 in West Salem OH. I was rather disappointed with the cars performance. It seemed to run poorly when warm. Its best run came after a 1 long cool down where the temp gauge read only the first notch. It ran a 17.17 @ 79 mph with a 2.48 60'. I launced at 4000 rpm with slight tire spin and shifted at 6500 rpm on the stock tach. I expected at least mid 16s. What can I do to improve this rather slow ride? I purchased this car because of its low miles and price and its clean body. I am selling my 95 DOHC Neon which ran a 16.1 and my wife's 93 Civic DX coupe which ran a 16.7 stock. I would at least like to get to the Civic's performance level for not too much dough.

What about an engine swap? I have swapped v8s in the past and have warmed up a carbed 2.2L for an early Shelby Charger which went 16.5. Thanks for your advice. Tom
Old 07-22-2002, 11:53 AM

Hi Tom. smile.gif

Welcome to the boards.

Check out this recent post.

Please Click Here.

smile.gif

There are a few people out there who have supercharged or n/a Accents running over 200 hp. An engine swap is possible as stated in the above mentioned post and since you have experience an know how, it might be a project made for you. smile.gif

Some advice might be to do some reading of this engine forum and even other forums around on the net. There is a lot of information out there just waiting for you to find. smile.gif There are a lot of knowledgeable members on this board and others who are willing to help too.

Welcome to the boards and happy tuning.

-Paul-
Old 07-23-2002, 04:09 AM

WELL ALL the standard *mods*

Or just strap an f16 Engine to the roof

Ok first
Do you want NA or FI

Depends. If your looking for some quick and cheap HP (well cheap being relative)

CAI, BBTB, Headers, Cat Back, 65 shot N2O

That will make you Quick as hell.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:29 AM

hey tom where in cleveland you live?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:57 AM

Parma.

I would be satisfied to run a 15.9 NA. Even 16.5 would be OK if it was really affordable. I do not want to put alot of money in this car. I read somewhere these cars only weigh 2150 lbs. Mine might be heavier, I will probably weigh it at a recycler. Seems my wife's old heavier, stock 93 1.5L 102hp SOHC Honda Civic DX coupe put out more oats than this 105hp 1.5L DOHC. I launched her car much less aggressively than this one. The Honda seemed to come alive at 4000 rpm or so. I do not feel any rush of power with this 1.5 Hyundai. My wife's new Prizm also pulls much stronger than this Hyundai. I have yet to get a time on that one.

The car definitely ran better when it had a chance to cool down. Any suggestions?

The car looks kind of fast with the purple paint, rims, and exhaust tip, but it does not have anything to back the looks up. In the week I have owned it I have been challenged by a late 90s Nissan SE-R, and a 94-95 GT Mustang. I never got challenged in the Neon. Both cars went out of their way to follow me and rev their engines. I was hoping the Mustang was a 6, but it was a GT. It even stayed on my bumper in the twisties. My stock Neon with 14s handles better than this lighter car with 1955015 tires and braces. I did not respond to the SE-R and felt stupid going through the twisties fast with the 5.0. Tom
Old 07-23-2002, 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

How much you lookin to spend?
Old 07-23-2002, 01:50 PM

Not too much $. I would be willing to have the TB bored out, hand port the intake manifold, etc since those are low buck mods. Any suggestions on that? What could I use for a throttle butterfly?

I would be willing to try to put a custom exhaust under it if that would help. Maybe I could cobble one together out of mandrel bent 2* tubing. It has a dynomax muffer, but the rest of the exhaust is stock I beleive.

I am not too thrilled about replacing the stock header due to price of the aftermarket header. I would consider moving the cone filter from under the hood to under the car. I would consider a crank pulley if one is available for this engine and costs under $200. The previous owner already bypassed the power steering pump.

It bums me out how expensive parts are for 4cyl cars. I am used to getting big results for not too much cash on my 90 5.0. A sticky set of dirt track tires, a complete used 3.27 geared rear-end and bypassing the power steering pump combined with the cat back installed by the previous owner put that car in the high 13s. It runs high 12s now for about another $2000 worth of mods.

The Hyundai will be my year long driver though, whereas the 5.0 is a sunshine only toy. Thanks for your input. Tom
Old 07-23-2002, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Check the sharkracing store or have the stock unit sent out and bored for the best results. Do a search for Onpol, he does great IM and BTB work. Header's will run about $480 for ceramic coated headers, cams will run around 6-800.

The intake manifold and TB are the most restrictive part of the engine, next is the tiny cam lobes and then the exhuast manifold.

Like I said, it depends on how much you want to spend as to what can be done. Gimme a guestimate dollar figure, and I can give ya a good idea of the path to take (although you seem to know what you're doing).
Old 07-23-2002, 02:57 PM

Thanks alot for the input.

I am really unfamiliar with Hyundai engines. If I understand you correctly, I will get the most gains from opening up the intake and throttle body. After that I will get the most gains from aftermarket cams. Finally I will get some gains from the exhaust.

I am looking to do inexpensive work first. Maybe I will invest in a wire feed welder (a lifetime investment.) Then I could make my own exhaust out of mandrel bends and straight tubing. I could also cut the intake manifold open, port it with carbides on a Dremel and weld it back together. Maybe I would try to find a used one in the boneyard first. I would consider having the stock throttle body bored at a machine shop. I would just need to find the correct butterfly to put back in it. I am pretty sure 86 5.0 HO Mustangs have a 58mm throttle body. I will check on the size on standard EFI Ford 5.0 motors. Maybe I would have to fill the holes in it and redrill to fit the Hyundai's shaft.

Cams and header sound too expensive now. I will let you know whatever I decide to do. Nitrous also sounds too expensive. I might consider a pulley though. Tom.