Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Head Unit Replacement

Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0 Automatic
Default Head Unit Replacement

Ok, so If I recall, back when my wife first bought her accent (which will be mine soon) back in 2000, she was told that an aftermarket head unit would not work in her dash, due to the oval shape of the opening where the factory tape deck is. It's now 10 years later, and she's lived with the tape deck (and a 10 disc CD changer in the trunk) for a while now. I am inheriting this car in a couple of months, and the first thing I would like to do is upgrade the head unit and speakers. I am looking for recommendations on the best install kit for a 2000 accent, along with a good speaker recommendation, for speakers that will bolt into the factory locations. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am thinking about going with something from crutchfield, but wanted the opinions of the forum before I made the leap.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI

Could you post up a picture of the unit? I'm curious if it's the same as my 2005.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, the oval shaped opening does not fit the description of what I've seen on Accents before, so please post a pic.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Ask and you shall receive! This is the factory head unit in my 2000 Accent GS. Notice that the edges of the "bezel" holding the head unit in has rounded edges.. Making a sort of "oval" shape if you will...

Any ideas if I can throw a standard head unit in here?

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Hmm...I'm sure yours can be made to work, but you would more than likely have to cut out the rounded corners to use a standard deck.

Either that or get one that has a rectangular opening from a wrecker. That's what I would do.

Mine's an 03, but the design is similar. Possibly even interchangeable.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM

Your 03 looks bezel looks like it would fit fine in my 2000.... I guess I could hunt one down and try it out, or I could try to locate a factory in dash cd player for a 2000... Thanks brother!
Scott
Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: LC2 Accent GT

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (poriggity @ Apr 11 2010, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Your 03 looks bezel looks like it would fit fine in my 2000.... I guess I could hunt one down and try it out, or I could try to locate a factory in dash cd player for a 2000... Thanks brother!
Scott</div>
I can tell you that the dash in the LC & LC2 are interchangeable. The only difference besides the stereo opening is that the LC2 has split cup holders laugh.gif
Old 04-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai accent GL

an after market stereo will fit in the oval shape, you just gotta check the size of the stereo. i've had one in my car for years. i am going to be getting the squared one soon cause i had to modify it by cutting the corners to fit my indash flip monitor
Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Sonata GLS

Originally Posted by poriggity
Ok, so If I recall, back when my wife first bought her accent (which will be mine soon) back in 2000, she was told that an aftermarket head unit would not work in her dash, due to the oval shape of the opening where the factory tape deck is. It's now 10 years later, and she's lived with the tape deck (and a 10 disc CD changer in the trunk) for a while now. I am inheriting this car in a couple of months, and the first thing I would like to do is upgrade the head unit and speakers. I am looking for recommendations on the best install kit for a 2000 accent, along with a good speaker recommendation, for speakers that will bolt into the factory locations. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am thinking about going with something from crutchfield, but wanted the opinions of the forum before I made the leap.

Thanks,

Scott

I was told by an exclusive stereo installer that I would have to by multi buck stereo and it would... blah-blah! Go to Best Buy and let them install it. They had all the adapters, face plates and wiring kits to install my JVC CD deck with a perfect fit that looks totally factory with no cutting or hacking of the dash. By the way... My Accent is a 2000 LC Hatchback. Another, "best money I ever spent." item. I'll go take a picture and post shortly.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Sonata GLS

Originally Posted by poriggity
Ask and you shall receive! This is the factory head unit in my 2000 Accent GS. Notice that the edges of the "bezel" holding the head unit in has rounded edges.. Making a sort of "oval" shape if you will...

Any ideas if I can throw a standard head unit in here?

Thanks

Scott

Scott, Jon here. I have the same 2000 Accent as yours. Same grey and all. Kind of creepy in a way. I have pictures I just took of the install done by Best Buy. Just need to figure out how to upload without a 5'x6' upload. Anyway I went to Best Buy they had the adaptor/bezel to fit the oval hole. (square peg in the round hole) the wiring adaptors and everything needed to install my JVC with a factory look. 4 Sony X-plode speakers, JVC CD Deck installed while I waited took this guy about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. Killer job! I would highly recommend checking in with Best Buy. If you wanted to do it yourself they would sell you all the custom items for the perfect install.

Accent Stereo Adaptor.jpg

4x5 Dash II.jpg