Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Breather filter

Old 05-30-2002, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather filter

Okay, I now have a pretty good idea of how I'm gonna work my intake. I gotta say, I've only had my Accent a few days, and I am in total love with it! Anyways, now that I know how to do the intake (Once it's in, and if it works good, I'll post how I made it and what kinda gains I get), how do install breather filter(s)? I have many friends who have cld air intakes, and they never even touched that part of the engine bay. I just wanted to know how many I need, and where to put them I have a pretty good idea, I have seen pictures, but I have one question. If you put one breather filter on the head, what happens to the other nossle that the factory hose connected to? Do you put another breather on that? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:55 PM

Why waste the money on the little filters. They serve no purpose whatsoever, except maybe to keep things from going into the open port. The function of the PVC system is to realease fumes from the crankcase into the air stream to be reburnt. The concept is basicly a vent. No if you are going to remove the PCV pipe and allow it to vent to the open atmosphere ... why do you need to shell out the dough on them little K&N breathers??

I sell auto parts ... and this is one of those things that mystifies me. People will spend $15-$20 bucks on this little dinky filter deal to filter fumes that you want to vent into the outside world anyways. Sometimes I almost want to suggest they put a K&N on the end of their exhaust pipe. Sheesh ???
Old 05-30-2002, 10:12 PM

the reason that you want the filter is to keep dirt and dust particles out of your crankcase, not to filter the air coming out of it. you don't want ANY part of the crankcase vented to open air without a filter.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:32 PM

When I put on the turbo, I'm getting a catch-can breather filter from summit racing. Basically a standard breather, but with a condenser can to trap the oil vapors. Also, if you lose a ring at the track and pressurize the crankcase, you won't spray oil all over the track (which is a problem with just putting a plain filter on there).

Leaving it as is, also dumps oil vapors into your intake, which for a turbo car usualy means the intercooler. Nothing worse than taking off your intake and seeing it covered in oil inside.

For N/A cars, it's a toss up. I wouldn't do it unless you just wanted something to do, or you were having problems with burning oil in your emmissions (so instead you vent it into the engine bay smile.gif )

ac
Old 05-31-2002, 01:44 AM

Yeah, I knew they were unnecessary. I just thought it ould look cool along with an engine dress-up kit. They aren't all that exensive, I was just gonna get some cheap APC ones that they sell at Autozone. So, if I put these on, I put one on the crankcase and one on the throttle body to prevent dirt from getting in the respective areas. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:22 AM

If you put one breather filter on the head, what happens to the other nossle that the factory hose connected to? Do you put another breather on that? Thanks.[/QB][/QUOTE]

No, cap it.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:28 AM

u can just put a peice of tape on the end. just seal it up so no air comes out of the hole.