Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

£500 Budget on Surpenstion. (about 700-800 bucks)

Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Accent
Default £500 Budget on Surpenstion. (about 700-800 bucks)

i know.. "Suspension" lol

Where the hell do u guys get ur shocks and springs at. i cant find anything anywear.

i wanna Lower it but help road holding for set of 16" alloys.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

K-Sports
Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Pay a tiny bit more and get a set of Ksport coilovers if you want to really handle like a champ.

Koni yellow inserts and a set of lowering springs can do pretty well also, but the yellows are hard to find for the Accent last time I checked and they're only a tiny bit cheaper than the Ksports.

A set of whatever lowering springs you want and KYB GR-2 struts is a decent budget setup, but you're not going to really be impressing anyone with the handling.

I don't know what sources are easily available to those in the UK, but I'm sure most places would ship. If not, I'm sure some members on here in the US could send them to you.

Ksport coilovers

Lowering springs of unknown quality

Another

KYB GR-2's
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hack a strut, weld mr2 style gland nuts, run mr2 inserts, buy tokiko, koni, or other high end shocks.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I just put some Megan c/o's on the Tib for $800 shipped. But I doubt you'll find those in your area for less than £700 or so.

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
hack a strut, weld mr2 style gland nuts, run mr2 inserts, buy tokiko, koni, or other high end shocks.
Wise words!!

I spent $1500 or so over the last few weeks and got the coilovers, knuckles, lower arms w/ balljoint, tie rod ends, swaybar linkage and all new hardware from the dealer. Add to that the XG350 brakes that are going on after all that is assembled. It's a hell of a budget dent, but I am sick of the Tib being in the garage. I want him back on the road ASAP even if the new motor isn't done.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

+1 on getting decent shocks. I'd try and find a set of koni yellows.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM

Inc Delivery K Sport are over $1200 (£750ish)

Are they worth it ?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
Kind of thread jacking here: could you possibly expand on this or explain in greater detail how this is done? I can do the cutting and welding but I don't know what and where to do it or with what parts. Also, is there a reason for using the MR2, and which model? Its weight balance is the opposite of the Accent, do you put them in backwards?

I'd also like to add that a rear sway bar and poly sway bar bushing front & back has made a huge difference on my car. This is what I have:

http://www.ultraracing.my/catalog/in...roller=product (thicker rear sway bar - the 'Add to cart' is greyed out so send them an email to ask for a price).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDM-Hyundai-...a54c50&vxp=mtr (stock size bushings, front & back)

http://energysuspension.com/products...-Bushings.html (get the non greasable bushings) (custom sizing for larger rear sway, if you go that route)

You'll also need to buy a new set of end-links for the rear if you replace the sway bar - they WILL break when you try to remove them. Any parts shop will have them cheap.

I also have a set of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-Hyundai-...item416a0d943b

but they're not installed yet as my stock shocks are old and bruised. Hence the request for help above.

This will help to keep your car flatter through a corner, but if you want it to stick better, tires are ALWAYS the best choice. I'm currently running Yokohama S-Drives (195-50-15) and they STICK. The other option is take 100% of that money and spend on a performance driving school. A couple of days on a track with a proper instructor in your passenger seat is amazing, even with 105hp.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by no_name
Kind of thread jacking here: could you possibly expand on this or explain in greater detail how this is done? I can do the cutting and welding but I don't know what and where to do it or with what parts. Also, is there a reason for using the MR2, and which model? Its weight balance is the opposite of the Accent, do you put them in backwards?
i read this idea years ago off of hp.com. i have the entire thing bookmarked at home so when i get home ill post it up.

basically you cut off the gland nut off a blown mr2 style strut housing (iirc you just use 4 rear style inserts all the way around)

and weld it to a hollowed out strut off your vehicle

doing it this way makes your struts serviceable

i mentioned the MR2 style because the aftermarket is HUGE for them, lots of choices for inserts.

now for springs, again if you know how to weld/have access to a welder, you can purchase springs and perches from AFCO springs which gives you easy access toward different spring rates/lengths. they even make helper springs so it isnt so bouncy.

youll have to cut off the perch off your struts for that setup though or you can just run the inserts and use your flavor of springs with the stock perch setup.

then for the top hat, just contact ksport and pick them up form them, this step could be skipped and you can just reuse your stock rubber ones but will lose adjustment. stock rubber will make things nice and cheap though.

yah nothing will match, but who cares spray paint is cheap

heres a basic idea of the layout as seen from the volvo guys:

when i priced it out before, the mr2 inserts were like 80 each for tokico illuminas, shop around and you can probably find someone willing to ship you a set of mr2 blown struts (or just have em cut them off and ship it) for a pretty cheap price

the stuff from afco was like < 250 bux, ksport top hat was like < 200 bux yah its a bit pricy but its in the same price range as KSPORT coilovers, BUT using much higher quality parts and if the shock blows, you arent stuck at the mercy of ksport for replacement AND its easily upgraded plus if you get tired of the accent, most of the stuff is pretty universal (with welding anything is universal...) and can be swapped to your next ride.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 AM

my accent legs are different too yours in picture.