HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

What is this noise?

Old 03-17-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this noise?

k.. i just installed my OBX header the other day but have not got my catback done yet.. now when i go WOT and my tranny (autotragic) is shifting from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to third... and when Overdrive kicks in (all three scenarios) my exhuast towards the rear of my car makes this noise. It is hard to explain.. but it is pretty much a "putt putt putt" noise... it is high pitched, about the same pitch as the exhaust. That is the best i can explain it.

The only thing i can think is that there is a lot of backpressure and it is making this noise. Or i am hitting my rev limiter , but i dont know if that is possible in the auto or if a noise is even made when the rev limiter is hit.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

edit: forgot to add that i have a CAI and that my second O2 sensor isnt on there yet cuz of the catback not being done, so i have a CEL on right now.. dont know if that was important info to know or not

[ March 17, 2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: BigBoi ]
Old 03-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You would know if you are hitting the rev limiter by the tach. It sounds like you have an exhaust leak, or that the exhaust might be hitting the chassis/frame.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:11 AM

random.. i think exhaust leak sounds more on the right track... it doesnt sound like the exhaust is hitting the frame, it isnt that kind of noise. I guess i just wont go WOT until i get my catback made and all that good stuff, and tighten up the bolts again from my header.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:41 PM

i have no clue what that noise is, but you can certainly hit the rev limiter with an automatic. if you get close with the car in drive, it will shift before you know it. if you "manually" shift the car, you can hit it and bounce off of it. kind of a "nee nee nee nee nee nee" sound. smile.gif
Old 03-18-2003, 01:59 PM

turbulence.. that is kinda what it sounds like.. the "nee nee nee" sound.. actually it may be that sound now that i think of it... but im not manually shifting it.. this is in normal drive. Whatcha think it is?
Old 03-18-2003, 03:57 PM

well, if IT'S DEFINATELY the "nee nee nee" sound, then i *may* be the tcu not shifting propery, or some problem with your transmission. but the sound and/or origination of the noise needs to be precisley pinpointed before we can really try to help you address this furhter.