HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Transmission noise

Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Transmission noise

Sorry realized this is the proper form for help.

Anyways 01 tib 5 speed manual trans.

It sounds just like this guys tib

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFTWKNj5Hg

Only it doesn't make the noise in neutral and usually stops (but not always) when the clutch is engaged. Once the clutch is disengaged and in gear it starts to make this grinding/whirling noise just like the video above. It also does not make the noise in 1st or Reverse and I have experimented with going slow or rapid acceleration and it does not matter. It starts in 2nd any speed above 20mphs and continues through out the gears. It gets higher pitched with each gear change and increases depending on the rpm range. The weird thing is that the noise sounds different in each gear lower pitched on 2 then 3 and so on. Any help would be appreciated. It sort of sounds like a throwout bearing but in reverse of a normal car. I know these cars have the pull and not push so I am thinking it is either that possible the clutch fork, the starter not disengaging some how or something internal in the transmission? But since it is the same noise as the one in the vid I am thinking it maybe something someone on here has ran into and save me the downtime with the tib. Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

II'm ignorant with transmissions but I would assume its gotta be something internal. Is it possible the clutch or pressure plate is off balance?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM

I haven't gotten into it yet. Since I know once I get into I am going to have it down for at least a few days. I just am hoping someone has a definitive answer on here so I can lean towards a direction. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to take the covers off and look at the clutch assembly as well as take the starter to the parts store and let them test it.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

from the sounds of it id lean towards the transmission.

id pull the filler plug and check the fluid level, and also look at the condition of the oil.

id do it after you drive it down the road to mix up the fluid. things to look for are metallic fluid or really dirty fluid.

it always smells horrid, but not burnt.

my old tiburon was similar when i had lost 3rd gear so it was more obvious.

if everything appears fine keep the transmission as a suspect, as it only makes the noise in gear, and tear down if its been awhile since u put a clutch in, get urself a clutch kit
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Fluid level was ok when I checked it. I will probably drain and then run it then drani and fill it again just to be safe this weekend. And I am leaning towards transmission as well I have already called a couple places and I found one for $450 with 30k miles and a 1 year unlimted mileage. Just need to figure out what clutch to get next. This is my daily and future autocross car so I am thinking of stepping up to a decent stage 1 or 2 clutch if I do a tranny swap.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

car-parts.com is your friend man! they should have one way cheaper than that. i got mine for like 150.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:23 AM

Checked them and the cheapest one is 200 plus shipping without a warantee and 120k miles and I have to wait on shipping. The local place is right here with 1 year and super low miles

In other news I drained the oil last night and in a cool but sad Mr. Wizard moment, I dropped an old speaker magnet into the drain pain. And watched as the metal flakes made bubbles as they moved across the pan and then a nice silvery halo appeared around the magnent. It was neat but sad at the same time. New transmission is now the official diagnosis and in my head I am hearing that little voice going "Told you so, Told you so" I got the car off I would guess an 19 year old and the front tires were bald. I should of figure he abused the car. At least the transmissions are cheap for the tib. So since I haven't but the transmission which transmission will be best suited for autocross that fits the tib? I would like longevity over performance if it matters. I was reading that the elantra has better gearing but weeker diff pins? Looking at the residual on this trans and the fact it was still shifting like a dream I would think the diff was the villian in this fail so any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

old tread i kno but its the only one i found so far. i just replaced my tranny in my 98 elantra with a 01 tibby tranny. i have the same noise anybody kno what it is?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you can make a video and post it for us to see/hear that would probably help a lot. Please describe exactly the conditions that make the noise, and describe what makes the noise go away. The more detailed and specific, the better. We are happy to help but we are not there*. Also remember: the guy who made this thread ended up replacing the transaxle.

*Well actually I am not that far away but I don't know if you want to drive down here and I for dang sure don't feel like driving up there.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

thanks for reply. Well heres the thing I just replaced the tranny got it from a 01 tib this is the tranny that is making the noise. My other tranny had a crack in the bell housing and was leaking so I replaced it with a rd2 that was wrecked with 160k on it I believe. The noise isnt so much a grinding noise but a hard whining noise I dont think you could hear it from a video but ill try. You can mosty feel it, its like a big vibration while the car is high in the rpms it does it while in gear or neutral. I do sometimes get gear grind when shifting into 2nd or 3rd but the noise and vibration happens anytime revs are high. I bled the slave messed with the tob lever a little wasnt much I could do with that. I topped the tranny off with 80 90 oil from orielys the same oil I used in my last tranny after race clutch install. Is there something we did wrong with install or could there be something wrong with the tranny I got? Is there any thing I can do to help? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Stocker if worst comes to worst Ill come see you its not to far.