HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Squealing when car is started?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es
Default Squealing when car is started?

Well, I know in the manual it says noise on a cold day is normal since it stresses out the pump and all, but it was about 80 degrees today, pretty steady, and its been doing this for about a month and a half now. Fluid is fine, belt is new and not loose at all, Im not quite sure what else it could be. I took a video, and this happens every time the car is started after about an hour of sitting, and it happens when you accelerate or turn the wheel. I even started to let the car sit for about 5 minutes before I move it, I cant figure it out. BangHead.gif

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS

water pump
Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

Sounds like the power steering pump to me. They don't last forever... but you might want to get some good fluid and get a shop to flush and refill and see if the pump can last a few more miles. I didn't look to see what kind of car it is, but you can rule out a lot by taking the belt off the p/s pump....but only if it is a separate one than the other accessories. However, you certainly could take off a regular serpentine belt (one belt for all pulleys) and be fine - but just as a quick test if your waterpump is driven by the belt also.

If the belt is off the p/s pulley and the sound is gone, then you know without a doubt it is the p/s pump.

If it isn't posted in your profile, please let me know the car/motor/maybe a pic under the hood at your belt situation. I'll have another listen tomorrow when I get to work (7 hours) when I'm not half asleep....but at this point I'd be willing to throw cash down that it is the p/s.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, power steering pump. Yours is really bad, I would just replace it personally.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

i think that it could be your power steering belt.

1: make sure that it is tensioned properly (you do not want there to be much give in the belt if you try and lift it off the pulleys.)
2: inspect the belt for cracking or wear. old belts tend to squeal.
3: inspect the pulleys to make sure that they are properly attached. you do not want them to be able to wobble at all.

my advice to you is to pop your hood, start it up, and see if you can't pinpoint which belt is making the sound. to double check which belt it is, take a small amount of oil and use y our finger to apply it on the under side of 1 of your belts. if the squealing stops, it's that belt. if not, move on to another.

adding lube to a belt is NOT a fix, i suggest it only to determine where the sound is coming from.