HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Speakers go out when brake is applied????

Old 10-10-2001, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers go out when brake is applied????

Hey to anyone who can help me out on this. What is the cause of this? How can I fix it? The speakers in the back seat are Alpine show I assume that there is nothing wrong with them. Please help. Thanks.

My Son calls my car a "RaceCar"!!!!
Old 10-10-2001, 10:37 PM

Just factory wires.

My Son calls my car a "RaceCar"!!!
Old 10-11-2001, 01:59 AM

Let me get this straight...

When you press the brake pedal, the speakers go out?

Is it when you are coming to a stop, or will it happen when the car is standing still?

If it's when the car is standing still, then the problem is likely to be electrical. I'd look for a botched wiring job, perhaps using the brake light line as a "ground" for a speaker connection. Put a voltmeter between the speaker lead (Either will do, but I'd check both, just because) and ground, and see if you get voltage when the brake is applied. If so, you've got a wiring problem.

If it's when the car is actually braking (Ie, decreasing speed) then look for a mechanical problem. The speaker may not be securely fastened down, and the leads may be shorting to the frame. Or a part of the wire may be shorting out. This will eventually damage your head unit, (So will the other problem above!) so you want to fix it...

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:12 AM

Thanks Dan for your suggestions. Will check it out. My Son calls my car a "RaceCar"!!!
Old 10-11-2001, 12:43 PM

well it coulde be a wiring problem, something grounding out when the car is stopping??