HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

screeching fan belt noise

Old 01-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997
Arrow screeching fan belt noise

Hi All...

Please help I have two issues with my Tibby....

I own a 97 2.0L Tibby and my 1st problem is that when i put the aircon on especiall when the car is idling ther is a loud screeching noise that comes from the fan belt [i think]... what could cause that?

2ndly - my headlights are very poor at night I have tried brighter globes but still - the bulb on the right shines brighter that the one on the left and the adjustment just doesnt look right becoz i can not see further than 3 metres from the bonnet... Is there an adjuster or should Ijust go see an electrician??

please help
Old 01-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

As for the screeching, you could be drawing too much power and thats whats causing the noise. You said it only does it when you put the Air Conditioning on, right? Does anything else happen, like your lights get dimmer and so on? Do you have a large stereo system? Keep an eye on your alternator, because it could be a sign that its going if its causing noise with belts with something basic as A/C being on.

Also, double check your belts and make sure they're not loose or frayed and need to be replaced. If they're in good condition, then try some belt dressing and spray it on the belts. That might help some of the noise.

As for your lights....if you want brighter lights, you're only option is HID's. If one seems to have greater distance than the other, you can aim them yourself. Behind the headlight bezel (where you put in new bulbs), you'll see a little twisty thing where you can use an allen or star wrench to turn it. That will turn your lights either higher or lower. Best thing to do is park in front of a wall, turn on your lights, and look at the angle of each light. If they're prefectly aligned, you'll see that light is a straight line on the wall from left to right. If they are off, one light will give a higher beam line than the other. (not the most technical terms, but hopefully you know what I mean...haha)

Also, if one bulb is brighter than the other...it could mean that the dimmer bulb is ready to die. Are you using stock bulbs or aftermarket?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997

Thanx Visionz - had it checked out this weekend seems like my A/C belt was cuffed.... Changed that, changed my cam belt all is fine again....

I will try the headlight trick today... Thanx for the help....
Will look into the HID kit - there arent so many after market styling products for this car here - I am busy with a buiness plan to open one up. But I think we have something similiar here - http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php?pr...dstr=&str=xenon