HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

RPM drop

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon FX
Default RPM drop

I need some serious help with my 97 FX Tib...the rpms have been droping to about 500, heres the kicker....it doesnt do it all the time! So far it has done it when I have backed up, downshifted to make a turn and starting from a stop like at a stop light! I really need help....PLEASE!!!! there is a cel but its for an O2 sensor and so far there is no flashing cel so Im pretty sure there is no misfire!

Thank you....please help me!!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Does turning the selection away from defrost help? If it does there's likely a problem with your Idle Air Control motor.

Also I noticed that the PVC hose to the intake manifold had no hose clamps when we did the seafoam and it slid off pretty easily. That could let unmetered air in and make the car idle funny. A couple of small hose clamps could test that theory.

A misfire won't be the cause of your low idle.

Sorry about being less helpful when you texted me. I had a fever and I was lying in bed. I was only half awake. 14 hours of sleep later and I'm doing a lot better.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon FX

So I took my car to Gregs and they tried telling me it was misfiring in the third and fourth cylinder and there was rod knock and all this other bs as well as the o2 sensor which i knew about but they said it would only be fixed by getting a new engine. Well come to find out thanks to 187sks, the misfire codes were from when we seafoamed the car and forgot to clear the codes...soooo.....there is no misfires and there is no rod knock, in fact the engine is running perfectly. So the only thing that needs replacing on the engine is the O2 sensor which I knew about!! banana.gif I am super excited and now I can go back to working on my car (body-wise)