HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

rear suspensino making grinding noise after brake change

Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default rear suspensino making grinding noise after brake change

2 weeks after changing my rear brakes now tonight tonight when coming to a slow stop, or driving up to a gas pump for instance, a grinding noise is heard from the rear back brakes and tires area, its a dry slow grinding sound as my car moves forward, and stops after increasing to regular driving speed. I got out and checked that area and nothing seemed out of wack (like tire caps popped out or low to the ground tire or a flat or anything..

I checked the brake pads and they seem to be wearing faster than usual but nothing out of ordinary, when I changed my rear brakes I used a special caliper piston tool and used a wrench to properly put the brake piston back to its position.

what could be wrong and what should i expect for shop fees, could I have damaged my engine? I just got it back from inspection 3 weeks ago and had new tires put on it..
Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

You probably bent one of your backing plates to where it's slightly rubbing the rotor. Pull the rims off and use a flathead screwdriver to push the plates away from the rotors.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 PM

its a heavier sound than that i think its a rotor it sounds like something heavy..
Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM

update:

i just looked again and the brake pads actually are worn almost to indicators, so i suspect the inner pad is worn down badly, does it make that kind of noise? due to my military training i took the advice of an article that suggests it is indeed the brake pads that make the grinding noise.. though i have seen nasty wheel bearing probs before like requiring complete spindle location overhaul during the winter months, grinding down the rim itself ect, but why the brake pads wore down so quickly, i dont knwo why that is, when i returned the caliper piston back to its original location i thought that was to prevent the pads from wearing excessively no?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If the calipers are not sliding freely (assuming disc brakes) then they might get stuck and rub too hard. A little drag is normal, and the calipers float farther away and wear is minimal. I guess it could also be too-thick pads but in PA I'd check for rusted calipers -and pistons- as well as the slidey bits.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 PM

ah i used a rubber mallert to pound the brake master cylinder back on over the pads. but the fitup was close

+1 to the PA comment.. Bought the car in MD and it was very rusty from sea border
Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I checked the brake pads and they seem to be wearing faster than usual but nothing out of ordinary,

Check your caliper slide pins, they could be stuck.

Check your e-brake cable, these tend to rust (especially the driver's side) which will keep pressure on the caliper even tho it was able to be compressed.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Did you line up the piston of the caliper correctly? It has notched out areas that need to be aligned with the inner pad. The reason I mention this is because you had to use a hammer to put the caliper back on over the pads and that is not right at all, shouldnt need a hammer.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by HotBlue02
Did you line up the piston of the caliper correctly? It has notched out areas that need to be aligned with the inner pad. The reason I mention this is because you had to use a hammer to put the caliper back on over the pads and that is not right at all, shouldnt need a hammer.
huh?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM

mod delete pls