HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Rattle/Knock

Old 01-05-2009, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Elantra
Default Rattle/Knock

Odd rattle/knock from engine compartment, Only happens randomly, And gets worse by RPM change.

No clue on what this could be.
Anyone know? Or experience the mysterious knock/rattle
[2004 Elantra]
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It's hard to tell without hearing it. If you could take a video with sound it would help.

Short of that have you checked the oil? Are there any other symptoms or is everything great besides the noise?

With Hyundais a ticking sound is very common, and that's the fuel injectors and perfectly normal. If it's more of a tick than a knock that's probably it.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM

QUOTE(187sks @ Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM)
It's hard to tell without hearing it. If you could take a video with sound it would help.

Short of that have you checked the oil? Are there any other symptoms or is everything great besides the noise?

With Hyundais a ticking sound is very common, and that's the fuel injectors and perfectly normal. If it's more of a tick than a knock that's probably it.

About that oil...
The entire life this car has had, From 04 to July of '08 was torment for it.
My stepfather evidently doesn't believe in oil changes, and wouldn't listen to me, So I don't know that the oil had been changed since it reached 46k miles.
I changed it 3 times right after I got it, [76k miles] and they said it burned oil before. [I'm thinking about sea foaming it soon]
But, Then again..When you don't change the oil, and you just continue to add what it burns over time. What do they expect?

He's a moron, I've established this statement due to many things he's done horribly.
1. Got 1,500 for a crash statement and never had the car fixed.
2. His 08 or 09 Scion xB is at 10k miles and the break-in oil has yet to be changed [I keep bothering them about it]
3. I have a revoked license otherwise, I'd do so myself, So the car would have a chance at not sludging up.
4. Changed oil in his [now mine as of July '08] Elantra once every 30-35k miles.
5. Didn't trust me doing a new head unit install [I honestly don't know why not]
6. Won't let me touch a single thing on any of their cars as far as regular maintainance goes [and he still can't explain cam lift to me]

I'm done rambling. Lol. I'm just making myself angry.

-Will
Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM

QUOTE(187sks @ Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM)

Also, If I still has DSL, I'd upload a video of the noise. Lol.
I'm using dial-up because I moved to the boonies >.<

I'm not sure exactly what it is, I've actually raised the hood and raised the RPM's to hear it with my head in the engine bay...But, I couldn't make out where it was coming from. confused1.gif
Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Do a good crankcase flush at the next oil change. Lack of maintenance could cause insufficient oiling in some cases. That maintenance schedule is less than stellar, that's for sure.

If it's the injectors making noise you can put your ear very close to them and hear them firing sequentially.