HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

problems alcohol won't solve

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default problems alcohol won't solve

so lately my car has been stalling @ idle or when off throttle-... it starts right back up everytime without hesitation. if it is just a misfire the rpms will hang out @ about 2krpm. it will go days w/o doing this but usually once a week it does this crap.

i have no current cels. the last cel i cleared up was for the evap pcv. i had one since then for o2 b1 s2 (meow converter)-... i currently do not have a cat converter but have been bypassing the code for months w/ the non-foulers. i don't know why it would pop up out of the blue or why it it would erase itself either???

i feel like i can smell oil burning occasionally, the oil level is fine. i checked the intake elbow and i am getting some blow by from the oil cooler line. the line from the pcv to the intake has a catch can that gets emptied 1k after oil changes.

the crankcase pcv is new. items that are less than a year old include: tps, crankcase pcv, evap pcv, timing belt, plugs, and plug-wires.

another issue i have is w/ my fuel level indicator-... it no longer returns to full. it only registers 3/4 of a tank. the fuel light comes on a day or 2 after it has already been on empty and from there i can fill my tank w/ 11-12 gallons. i have a feeling that it's more so a problem w/ the instrument cluster rather than the fuel sensors due to the fact that the fuel light comes on @ the correct time.

any ideas?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Turbo

My thoughts is a bad Idle control valve possibly on its last leg and getting hung up on occasion. As far as you fuel gauge goes , mine did something similar when I installed my walbro but it was due to a physical block of the level armature that floats in the tank. So could be fuel sending unit going bad and causing a reading for the gauge. The low fuel indicator and the actual level may read off of different signals, Im not totally sure. Regardless do some reading up on them here is the link to the Hyundai bible ---> https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

My 2 cents

good luck.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM

iac was a guess of mine aswell (along w/ vacuum leak, crank position, cam position or maf).

i could try to add another nonfouler to further surpress any problems (but why would they start just now?). hma did mention bad cat could cause misfiring and sloppy idle. i always thought that was due to more or less a physical restriction in the honeycomb rather than just o2 sensors.

it's a manual trans, engine has over 100k on it, full exhaust, cai, bbtb, 1.8 cam, custom intake manifold, udp, and findanza flywheel.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

If you have a scan tool, can't you run the car through a diagnostic cycle to check all the sensors?

But yes, I would lean towards a sticky IACV - also check its wiring because you might have a bad earth contact somewhere. Try shaking the wiring harness with the engine running and see if that does anything.

Actually yeah, if you're getting lots of blowby, there's a good chance that oil crud has started to clog up your IACV.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 PM

would it be normal for blow-by to occur @ idle or off throttle situations?

no scan tool for now
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Blow-by at idle should be extremely small. The voices tell me that when you snap the throttle closed at high engine speed blowby should be greatest, but don't quote me on that.