HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Problem after walbro 255 install

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es
Default Problem after walbro 255 install

Well, I finally got around to installing my 255 walbro fuel pump. Didn't know the assembly was gonna be that big of a pain. But the main problem is lack of fuel pressure each time I shut off the car. It then takes quite a few cranks to get it to turn over. I didn't use the wires that were given with the pump, since the stock ones were the same, could that be causing the problem? It does drive fine once it starts, its just getting it primed thats kind of annoying. Thanks for any ideas!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

The pump doesn't hold the pressure on that system (if you totally gutted it or you have a return line... then dont read anymore of this) the FPR does. Did that get installed right? I changed a fuel filter and thought I snapped the band over the top of it down. It seems it just looked snapped down. However, at some point the FPR tilted, just a bit. That movement of the small gap it made allowed the fuel to drain back into the tank after I shut it off for a bit, causing that delayed start.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you let the car sit for a few more seconds with the key in RUN before switching to START you might give it time to pump up pressure so it will start normally.

If it draws significantly more current, it may be a good idea to upgrade the wires. If the voltage is drooping because the smaller wires are robbing voltage due to higher current, you will get higher output JUST by increasing wire size. Plus you would reduce the risk of a car fire.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 PM

I have to let it sit in RUN twice before its primed all the way, so I have been doing that. I'll try swapping the wires for the pump in the upcoming days. I didn't unplug the FPR...if that was what was the other thing. I just took the pump out and replaced. I'll have to look at it again haha. Also...where would be a good place to tap into the tank for a return line? Since the Accent is returnless, I need to add one for the turbo, and I'm not exactly sure where the best place would be, higher up like a tapped oil pan, or mid tank?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

^^^^ You have a 255 in a returnless fuel system...

Also how do you have a FPR on a returnless system??
Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

They are there, check hma if you think I am lying

On the XD it sits right on top of the pump assembly, I have yet to mess around in the tank of the HD to see if/where/etc.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Do you know what your fuel pressure is at? Can you watch it build up?

With mine as soon as I turn the key it goes up to 40 psi or so without hesitation.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 PM

All I can think is that you getting more pressure than you need. Do you have any smoke upon cranking and starting, I know even my car with the 255 when warming up is really rich but it leans out.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 PM

I have no smoke when it starts up, but it doesn't want to turn over unless pressure is built. I need to take apart the assembly and take pictures, because I have yet to see any of an Accent on here, and I think it could help others since I did have to hone it out to make it fit. And I cannot watch pressure build, I don't have a gauge installed yet, but I do with the RRFPR I have that I need to install.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 AM

I personally would think that the stock Regulator would just be pushed to hard to work effectively with the 255 being that it can flow probably close to double the stock pumps working PSI.