HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Problem after GSX fuel pump install?!?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe
Default Problem after GSX fuel pump install?!?

Hi guys, I'm really in need of ur help...

Here is the problem: At first my car suddenly stopped starting and after a couple of minutes and a test with the nitrous system I found out the there is no fuel pressure. So I swapped the fuel pump fuse with some other 20A fuse and the car was ok...for 2 days! After that the same sh*t, but the swap solution wasn't working so I thought my fuel pump was dead and that was another reason to upgrade the pump. There was no walbro 255 in stock and I needed the car so I recall that some of u were using eclipse GSX fuel pump. The very next morning I bought one ( brand: mapco ). It is exactly like my stock fuel pump. I swapped it without any problems, but after the install I tried to start the car and ...middle finger again There was no electricity to the fuel pump. Swapped some fuses and MIRACLE the car was running. I decided to test it with the new GSX fuel pump and middle finger AGAIN , the car was running like crap, the RPM weren't stable and if I floor it at 2800RPM it stops accelerating for a about 3-4sec and then starts again ( but that problem remains through all RPMs and sometimes the car just stops )If I drive it only to 2000RPM there are almost no problems, but if I go above that...

So after that long story what do u guys think? Is it electrical stuff or the fuel pressure is not right , cause the guy from the store told me that this pump is working at 3.5bar / 50.76psi and the stock at 3.0bar / 43.51 psi ?

Some of u saved my ass a couple of times so I really count on u again

P.S my stock fuel pump is working if there is no quick solution I might use it again...
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it works fine with the stock pump, you are in very good condition.

If fuses are blowing, you are drawing more current with the replacement pumps than with the stock pump . . . somebody correct me if I'm wrong but 20A sounds like a lot for a fuel pump. If they are supposed to draw that much current, use the stock fuel pump wires to switch a relay and use a freshly-installed larger-gauge, fused wire from the battery to the relay to the pump.

Did you buy your aftermarket pumps new or used?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

don't swap or upgrade the fuses. keep them OEM. if DTN were here he would say it can either fry your wires or cause a fire. you don't want a fire down there.

next, i don't think the problem exists with the fuel pump, since you've experienced the problem initially when you installed the nitrous system and had the same problem with both pumps.

i think the problem lay somewhere in your nitrous setup. maybe a faulty connection or something that is diverting the path of the fuel and is sending the ECU faulty pressure readings.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

WOW LOL I had this problem and it ended up taking me a while to figure out, I had the same issues, What was happening with me is that the Fuel Filter it self Is/Was completely cloged! Yet, the car would intially start in the morning but the more i drove the car, the crud would gather from the line and clog the filter, yet i could shut it off and let it sit for a couple hours, guess what it would start again, sometimes... What was making the my Fuel pump shut off completely is that from working way to hard fighting the cloged filter the pump would actually get hot and cause a short some how and pop my Fuse, We all know a Short means minuim resistance which in turn means max amperage, which in turn pops fuses turning off the pump right!!! Right!

So the fix to the problem was a fuel filter change, and when i had the filter off, just for a split second i kicked the pump on to push out the shitty crud that was in the line! Yet be care doing this and make sure the car is cool and dont SMOKE while working with Fuel!!!

IF you need a Filter I have one and i can ship it to you! just let me know!!!

Also the GSX Fuel pump is Plug and Play,it is a 190LPH, and can run with the stock regulator just fine not like attempting to run a 255.. LOL

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned

First thanx to all of u

My opinion is that Turburon_99 is right ( and really hope so :biggrin: ) I'm sure that the nitrous is not the problem, cause I use it for almost a year without any problem with the fuel system. With the stock fuel pump there were no stalling when I tried to accelerate ! The tib just wasn't starting. I also think that the fuse wasn't making good contact before, cause now there is no problem ( there is always power to the pump ).

Now the car starts every time , but the problem is that the idle is not stable ( the tib stops every 2-3 mins ) and every time I try to accelerate normally I get this major halt jerk ( it's like the fuel cuts out ).

The only problem I see in Turboron_99 theory is that my car runs very smooth if the car is not moving and I just rev it on place. No problems through out the RPMS, but all the sh*t happens if the car is in gear. If the fuel filter is dirty I think it should not work fine even if I rev it on place...

I tried to replace the fuel filter right after the first time I got the problem , but the nut that is under the filter is a b*tch If I try really hard the nuts is getting f*cked up so I left it like this till I find the problem...I guess I found it tomorrow morning I'll go to a garage to change it.

Hopefully after I replace it the tib will run fine... I'm really mad these days because of all this shiiiit !!!

P.S the GSX pump is brand new and it's from the 95-99 model 2.0 turbo 210hp
Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Okay so Update???
Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Yo yo yo

The car is ok now, but I'm a little ashamed of myself After I've changed the fuel filter the problem were there...still !!! So I was sure that the problem is something really stupid and it was I checked my phone to see the pic of the fuel pumps side by side and as u can see the stock filter goes a little deeper in the fuel tank

I'm using the old filter now and everything is tip top

So that was my problem after new fuel pump install... I just don't know what was the main problem, cause my old pump is working...Maybe the fuse wasn't making good contact or the pump was at the end of it's life.

Now the car is running great ( somehow I feel it more stable through the whole RPMs ) and can spray 75 shot more safely

Thanx again guys ... I'm more than happy I found this forum