HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Oil Leak or Something Else? Helpp 2000 Tiburon

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Oil Leak or Something Else? Helpp 2000 Tiburon

Hi I have a 2000 Tiburon and the last few times I have looked at my engine it seems to be leaking oil or something else right near the top of the engine. Most of it is on the silver part of the engine right above the heat shield. It also seems to be puddling around the bolts on the top of the plastic engine cover, not the spark plug cover. I have cleaned it off a few times and it keeps coming back. I don't know much about engines and I don't know if this is oil or another liquid. I checked my oil and it was close to the full level. I could really use some help in figuring out what is wrong and how to fix it. Here are some pictures. If you need better pictures or more info just ask. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Diffinately oil, leaking from valve cover gasket. Also check the valve cover for cracks. It's an easy fix, gasket cost less than $20.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: RD2 Tib

Hi Ben M, I had this exact issue with my car and I fixed it by simply tightening the valve cover
Old 04-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Valve cover bolts NO tighter than 9 ft-lbs. I like 7 with a new gasket. These bolts will snap super easy. Give them a quick check to see they are all barely-past finger-tight and then consider a new gasket. It is only a few spark plug wires popped off and a handful of bolts to replace.

Some oil seepage there is common. Do not be overly concerned unless you have running/dripping oil coming out under the valve cover.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:55 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

^ +1, that's clean compared to mine lol
Old 04-03-2011, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Thanks for the info guys! I tightened the bolts a little, but if the leaking continues I will most likely replace the gasket. Would I be able to find directions to do that on the HMAservice website? Thanks!