HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

kinda foamy oil on inside of oil cap

Old 05-11-2003, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kinda foamy oil on inside of oil cap

i need help there is kinda foamy oil on inside of the oil cap also ticking at idle the ticking get faster as the motor goes faster help please what could it be 2001 tib 32500 miles thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 01:11 AM

Hey Montana!.......hate to tell you this but it sounds as if your cylinder head gasket has failed.
The emulsified creamy/foamy oil inside your filler cap is a classic sign coolant water is getting into the oil!.
The `ticking` sound is probably the compression-leak.
Sounds like a warranty job.....have the Dealer tow it in, not a good idea to run the engine in this condition as collateral damage could occur.
Good luck, Nick.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:10 AM

The foamy oil could also be condensation. If your car is subject to constant cold weather like mine, say -40 and such for 8 months a year, condensation WILL form. The ticking sound could also be lash in the cam chains.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Both assesments could be correct, however, I highly doubt you've got a bad head gasket. They are legendary in their reliablilty. (beta).

I would suggest you buy some fresh oil, fresh oil filter and some motor flush. Run the motor flush through your engine per the directions, then drain your oil, change your filter, and install new filter/oil. See if that solves your "ticking" problem. If not, check the oil cap at every gas fill up for a reoccurance of the 'foamy' substance. If it returns, take it to your dealer. If not, start digging into the source of that ticking.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:57 AM

I recommend GUNK 5 min engine flush. Its the better of the brands you find on the shelf in say pep boys and autzone.

Dino oil is crappy. And HLAS in your engine do not like Fully synthetic.

the best is Semi-Synthetic or Blend. and is barely more expensive then Dino oil.

So, i'd recommend going to the blend of whatever oil brand you use.

I run Castrol 5w-30 blend. Never had a tick since I started using it.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:03 AM

Shadohh:
I recommend GUNK 5 min engine flush. Its the better of the brands you find on the shelf in say pep boys and autzone.
And I'll recommend Amsoil Engine Flush. Just because you hate them poke