HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

I hate to ask...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo
Default I hate to ask...

Okay everybody, first of all, thank you for reading this. I'll try to keep it short. I need some help with wiring up the wipers and reverse lights on a beta swapped LC.

I've got a 2001 LC accent. I beta swapped it a couple of years ago with the 2.0 CVVT engine from a late '03 elantra, along with the elantra loom. I kept the alpha transmission, engine relay box and interior fuse box. Afaik my accent does not have the ETACS module. I ended up taking the car to an auto electrician to wire up the swap, because AUDM cars have the smartra system, which was far too complex for my abilities. They got it running and all was sweet.

They basically only wired up the engine. That means that the car lost: wipers, reverse lights, all the dash warning lights, the tach, water temp gauge, and the OBD-II port. I was not concerned because it is just a fun car and it generally flies under the radar. I ended up wiring the tach and water temp gauge into place because they are pretty vital.

Here is the LC accent wiring diagram from webtech:

http://hmaservice.com/data/Passenger...G/e2da320b.svg

And here is the XD2 elantra wiring diagram from webtech:

http://hmaservice.com/data/Passenger...G/e2ke318a.svg

Anyway, the car has received a yellow sticker/work order/citation, and needs to pass inspection. That means that all of the items I listed above must work. I really only need help with the wipers and the reverse light switch, they are kicking my ass. Specifically:

-The rear wiper/washer is still fully functional, as are the front washers.

-Iirc the LC accent ran the windscreen wipers entirely off the body loom, but the elantra loom routes at least some of the wiring alongside the engine loom. Where do the pins that connect to the wiper motor interface with the body loom in the elantra?

-Where is the reverse light switch on the elantra loom, and where does that interact with the accent body loom?

-Do all of the wiper motor pins connect at one point? By that, I mean do all five pins that connect to the motor itself pass through one plug on the harness before they split off to interact with various timers in the interior?

The work order expires by the end of wednesday. I've done my best to try and get these things wired up, but if anybody has some advice they want to share, please don't hold back. Naturally y'all will be reimbursed with a healthy dose of sexual favours.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it's down to Wednesday I'd say run your own wires fresh and ignore the harnesses!

If you can't figure out the timed/delay wipers, maybe try for running just straight one-speed action to pass the inspection?

FWIW on the RD platform the reverse switch is on top of the transaxle.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 AM

Well, I've made progress. I figured out that almost all of the accent wiper system is there, it is just missing the connection between the intermittent timer and the wiper motor. I've nig rigged my own harness out of small gauge wire (it was all I had, inb4 an electrical fire) and I'm currently running it through the car.

I'm working for the next seven hours, so I'll either have another crack at it after I finish, or get up hella early and keep going. Whew!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I am just catching this post but I can help if u still need it when I get back in town tonight. Ill check in about 4pm pacific time.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 PM

Oh, cheers dude. I missed your reply in the 'active topics' section.

I've made progress, it turns out that the wiring colors from webtech are completely wrong. I'd swapped all my connections around and tried silly things because it wasn't working, before I realised that the error was with the colors. Atm I'm repairing the wiring back to how I had it.

Does anybody have a pinout of the wiper motor? If I could figure out exactly which pin requires which function, that is 90% of the work done. Cheers for the replies everybody
Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

If I remember correctly when I had the Elantra harness I had to repin the order of the wires at the wiper plug to work with the Accent.