HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

How to remove rust stuck bolts or screws

Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default How to remove rust stuck bolts or screws

I own an 04 accent and I am trying to remove the IAC to see if it is functioning properly, as weel as, the TPS. I can get the top bolt off the IAC but can't get the bottom bolt off. Try to use a screw driver, but it is stuck and started stripping the grooves. Can't get a ratchet on it because of the angle and plastic from the IAC. The TPS has small screws and again they are stuck and started to strip the screws. Don't have the ability to use a ratchet on these ones as they are rounded. ANy ideas? If I strip them anymore I will need a new throttle plate or drill them out. I already sprayed the crap out of them with a rust inhibitor.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Hey I also had the problems of stripping screws on the TPS. I ended up taking a large flathead screwdriver and hammering it into one of the existing grooves on the top of the TPS screws. This creates a a larger groove and makes the screw easy to remove with the flathead. But do it carefully or you might fully destroy the screw. Hope that helps!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

To make life simply, I would (if there indeed rounded Completely and Striped) just use a dremel, cut off the head, remove TPS then get a nice fresh set of Vise-Grips, Clamp what remands of the shaft then remove, worst comes to worse, you have to redrill the Aluminim very easy to do, and very easy to tap, not a big deal........

Also I know mine, Have on the out side, a 8mm Bolt head, and you can use a Good Socket, preferable one that uses the same idea as a Snap-On, and only applies pressure to the FLAT sides of the Bolt head.

Also have you tried on the TPS to get a Pointy Phillps screw driver, get a harmer and just make the groves a Small Amount deeper, then apply the most pressure possible and remove....
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have also had luck using vise grips on the side of the screw head since they are thick enough to grab onto. Then use a screw driver and turn them both at the same time which should work.

You could always try a dremel or cutoff wheel and make your own flat head screw driver notch.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Well tried to remove the MAP. One screw came out fine the other screw I did a quarter turn and it wasn't seized. But something didn't seem right. So I left it and sure enogh today the head just feel off. I am hoping that tomorrow I can remove the sensor and have enogh to grab onto to use vise grips and remove it. Don't know what else to do. Had never uses a tool and dye.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Tap and Dies are easy,no worries!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Accent

I'm guessing that MAP screw is something like a m6 x 1.25. shoot it with rust penetrant before you vise grip it.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 AM

Not enough to vise grip. Going took use a screw extractor. Tap and dies don't remove screws or bolts they just fix threads on bolts and make new threads in holes, right?