HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

HELP PLEASE

Old 06-17-2001, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE

IM GOING INSANE HEAR GUYS

ok i dont know hwat to do my car is like bogging on idle up and down up and down

its not like it doenst wanna run. it idles at roughly 1500 then does a quick dive to about 900 then back up again.. but eventually it settles down after doing the up and down about 5 - 6 times sometimes more though

to let you guys know i have no air leaks, the idle screw is fine.

my acceleration cable to teh tb. was fairly loose. so i tried to tighten up the slack .

dit not help same plroblem

i recently had a p0506 - rpm low CEL light come on. but im sure that was because teh car dove unter 800rpm at idle

what else is their to control idle
even granny at lights thinks im reving on her heheh
Old 06-17-2001, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Before I take this on a totally wrong path...

could you post up your engine mods?
Old 06-17-2001, 10:53 AM

Ok, I have 60mm t.b. port matched intake manifold and filter on mafs.

Anyway, my girlfriend, and the phone conversation with Brendan and I seemed to do some trouble shooting and threw on my stock t.b. back on... all was fine. We knew it was with the other t.b., so we took the stock one off then the 60mm back on and seemed to work fine for now.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:57 PM

Well, I suggested to my b/f that it could be the throttle body and once removed, and the original one was put back... no problems. So we decided to put it back on. Well, we did and it runs okay... but it still idles from 1000 to 1500 rpm's, which is NOT bad, from the way it was idling before... which was up to 3500.

What I think it is, and correct me if I am wrong, I think that the idling needs to be adjusted, right now it is adjusted to work with the first throttle body, and when the second one is put on, because there is nore air flowing through, the idling should be a little different, I suppose.

If you guys believe it is something else, please feel free to let us know, we would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has a throttle body from Shark Racing, the old version, please feel free to post any suggestions or any tips for this to be completely corrected.

Thank you very much! smile.gif
Old 06-18-2001, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Somehow I KNEW you had a BTB.

I have the exact same problem with an "onpol special" stock bored TB.

The idle is erratic, and revs from 2000 to 500. I've had this problem for the year that I have had the BTB. I also installed it on 2 other Beta Engined cars, and both had the exact same problem...and my problem went away with the stock TB installed.

My guess is that it has something to do with idle, and the idle adjustment...but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it to work. I've tried setting the idle with the Idle by pass unplugged, with the idle bypass plugged in but blocked off, etc...etc..etc..

I still have the same problem. I've even replaced the TPS from one TB to another...and the problem follows the BTB, not the TPS.

I've got one more trick to try, I'm going to try to "adjust" the TPS...and see if that does the trick. I should be able to do that sometime this week...I'll post up my results.
Old 06-18-2001, 11:32 AM

Yup, that was our guess. I will be looking forward to your results and if they work, we will follow your steps. wink.gif

Thanks again.

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: KillahLadY ]
Old 06-18-2001, 01:36 PM

yeah hope fully that will do the trick smile.gif
Old 06-18-2001, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

The thing that is weird is that there are plenty of people with BTB's installed that do NOT have this problem.

I guess we are just he "lucky" ones....*joy*

dj delirium-
Which BTB do you have? The Shark Racing purple unit, or a bored out stock unit?

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 06-20-2001, 09:30 AM

No, it's not the purple one.

And amasingly enough, it's not doing it anymore. (the idling)
Old 06-20-2001, 01:55 PM

hmm mine has been acting better latrely starts out rough but after a few minutes driving settles down nicely.. could it maybee be solved witha safc